cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How David Cameron saves FTTP in the UK.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How David Cameron saves FTTP in the UK.

In as yet undrafted plans for an internet tax which were triggered this article, may be considered by David Cameron. A tax of £20 per month per connection will be applied on all internet connections deemed to be running at faster than 5 mbps. The tax will pay for connecting the country to FTTP. Government economists believe the greater uptake of FTTP will cause a 6.5% increase in productivity. The increased tax take arising as a consequence of the increased productivity will solve the NHS funding crisis. The public will be able to claim tax relief for their internet tax provided they can prove it is used for educational purposes only. This will be a temporary tax scheme which will be cancelled once 95% of the country of connected via FTTP.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: How David Cameron saves FTTP in the UK.

So, the conmen plan to tax the FTTC and some ADSL customers for being in areas that get decent speeds to cover BT's backside in doing the work they haven't been doing?? Yeah, I don't think so, re-nationalise the telecoms industry first, oh wait, I forgot, conservatives, they sell of stuff and tax the hell out of it afterwards... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Hmm charge an EXTRA £20/mo good way to get them kicked out I would say. No way I would/could pay that.
Community Veteran

Why do we all need FTTP?
pwatson
Rising Star

gromittz
Grafter

3..2..1..... and back in the room David  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Oink! Oink!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So... this will be a temporary tax.........

Obviously, they, ( the government think tanks).. don`t remember, or choose to forget, that "Income Tax" was also a Temporary Tax.. to pay for wars, first implemented in 1798.....
See "Income Tax" on this linky...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_taxation_in_the_United_Kingdom

now there`s a thought....
Community Veteran

Am I missing something here? The article refers to Pakistan and there is no reference to the UK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
Am I missing something here?

Nope, just Troll McTrollington being a pain... Roll eyes
That said, it's entirely possible that it could happen, after all, look what Ofcom's done to mobile operators:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34346822
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
Why do we all need FTTP?
I don't I am quite happy with my ADSL 16mb connection therefore I would have to challenge such proposal in court.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
Quote from: artmo
Am I missing something here?

Troll McTrollington

Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: twocvbloke
So, the conmen plan to tax the FTTC and some ADSL customers for being in areas that get decent speeds to cover BT's backside in doing the work they haven't been doing?? Yeah, I don't think so, re-nationalise the telecoms industry first, oh wait, I forgot, conservatives, they sell of stuff and tax the hell out of it afterwards... Roll eyes

And then tax us to hell to fix the private industires that they privatised and taxed the hell out of in the first place  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!