cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Come Cyprus is in Europe

tgr
Grafter

How Come Cyprus is in Europe

when i was in the army Cyprus being in the middle east  was in the Middle East Land Forces (MELF) so how come it is now considered part of Europe.  I am not very good at geography so maybe China and even Australia are in Europe.
  Mind i should imagine that Cyprus wishes it was still in the M East and not Europe at the moment!!
The European song contest started all this when they allowed another middle east country to be consider in Europe ie Israel so they could join the contest!
12 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: How Come Cyprus is in Europe

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I was in the Navy.........
Cyprus was in the Med !....
you, sort of, go past it, on the way to the Suez canal..... once you go through their, you are in the "middle east".... once you go through the middle east..... you get to the Far East.... and enjoy yourself, before coming home 2 years later.....
(not like this coastal defence force we have now, whn 6 weeks away from home is considered "foreign"......  Roll eyes
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Seems some don't know their continents from their economic/political unions  Tongue
Community Veteran

Part of the island was annexed by Greece at one time so this might explain it.  It decided to turn itself into a tax haven which has brought about its present problems.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wouldn’t like to be a Cypriot politician/banker making a decision that would possible upset the savings of Russian ‘depositors’ (careful choice of words).
Community Veteran

I think the Russians are pointing their fingers at Germany.  They see Cyprus as merely having to take the unpalatable medicine from Dr. Merkel Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Didn't Cyprus initially approach Russia for help?
Community Veteran

Yes they did but Russia turned their request down.  With all the Russian money in Cyprus I think they thought Russia might help.  Also there are apparently oil reserves off Cyprus which they thought the Russians might be interested in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just saw this http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-25/have-russians-already-quietly-withdrawn-all-their-cash-cypr...
As it turns out, these same oligrachs may have used the one week hiatus period of total chaos in the banking system to transfer the bulk of the cash they had deposited with one of the two main Cypriot banks, in the process making the whole punitive point of collapsing the Cyprus financial system entirely moot.
If this is correct then the whole shambles could unwind once the actual deposits left are checked
Community Veteran

But how were they able to transfer their money with the embargo on withdrawals  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

While ordinary Cypriots queued at ATM machines to withdraw a few hundred euros as credit card transactions stopped, other depositors used an array of techniques to access their money.
No one knows exactly how much money has left Cyprus' banks, or where it has gone. The two banks at the centre of the crisis - Cyprus Popular Bank, also known as Laiki, and Bank of Cyprus - have units in London which remained open throughout the week and placed no limits on withdrawals. Bank of Cyprus also owns 80 percent of Russia's Uniastrum Bank, which put no restrictions on withdrawals in Russia. Russians were among Cypriot banks' largest depositors.

Community Veteran

Didn't I read yesterday that Putin has ordered a review of Russian loans to Cyprus?  Shocked
Geoff,
York.