cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How British degrees have lost value

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

How British degrees have lost value

Frightening article on how the students now demand degree they paid for, whether they earn it or not...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2019/08/great-university-con-how-british-degree-lost...

45 REPLIES 45
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: How British degrees have lost value

It's big business so I guess to attract more "customers" you have to the one that gives higher marks.

Where lots of money is involved I don't see how that can be avoided without some sort of major intervention by government inspectors of some sort.

That itself would involve lots of money spending so that won't happen. Which just means degrees will end up only worth what students are willing to pay for them without all that bothersome studying.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

So a degree from Sheffield is worth cow poop.

Maybe it's time to return to the days of classics and the arts in academia rather than the likes of sociology, politics and err, computer studies. Want skills for work, then let's return to technical colleges and apprenticeships fed by educational subjects relevant to requirement.

Letters after your name might look nice on paper, but they are no guarantee for a job - which is ironic given that you need one in order to pay off that student loan.

Great if you can afford to waste your time and indulge yourself, not so great if you think that having done so Mr Joe Blogs employer is going to think you are the best thing since sliced bread to manage his bread factory, or keep that production line going.

Degrees like Garlic bread were once the future, not any more. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ah degrees, where so many people spend so much time and money to acquire a piece of fancy paper only to find out nobody'll employ them because they "Haven't got the experience", and end up flipping burgers in a fast food chain... Crazy2

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

And there's the rub, no degree can provide you the experience, and any value one might have would be at the cutting edge of some research or other and for which you would probably hold a PhD. 

Others here might know, but is it still the case that nursing is degree based, as many came out with that fancy paper as you call it and knew Jack when they went onto the wards. No beds pans and gaining experience for them, it was straight in at neck level and out of their depth.

When I started on that road to employment it was day release/night school in college, and the rest of the week in work as I studied for my then C&G 222 in Radio and Television with an extra year tagged on for my RTEB endorsement for the 'new kid on the block' colour television.

So that was four years of work related study against only three years for a degree in whatever takes your fancy.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Yep, degrees in media production, degrees in watching things rust, degrees in turning spanners, I did all them things with my youtube channel, I should have a PhD in being a youtube berk... Funny

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

When I worked in a design office we had about four people with degrees but no experience, they did not last long - they were not used to a working environment where you have to earn the money you get paid - and the you get paid for what you do not just what you know ( and cannot apply). This was maybe not their fault entirely because they had been in the vacuum of the education establishment since they were aged about 5. The most sought after people are the ones who had studied while working as well, even if it was at technical college, it shows they have drive and experience and did not just do a degree because their parents had money.  I would like to know what a 'gap year' is all about,  the best thing when you are in education is to carry on, not take 12 months off to chill out..........

Once Tony B Liar said he wanted 50% of people to get a degree you just knew it would get devalued to the point it would be worthless, To get a proper degree should need someone in the top 10% of ability scale, not be expected of everyone.  My mates son wanted to join RAF and he found out that to be a pilot you don't need a degree ( they are looking for other skill sets ),  but to be an engineering officer you do.  All this rubbish about nurses and policemen needing a degree will just mean they get the wrong type of person.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When it come to degrees I am one away from a famous Motown trio. But I know for a fact that the only reason I am in the very fortunate position I am now, was down to serendipity and had nothing to do with the degree I held at that time.

Having said that if I didn't have my degree I don't know how long it would have lasted.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

They say "Knowledge is power", and I agree, but, true knowledge gained from doing what you're working toward, making mistakes along the way and learning to not make them, and showing that you're competent in those tasks, that's where the power is... Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

...and this is a true story, but I worked with a guy that had a degree in electronics - but did not know the colour coding for a 13amp plug. Crazy2

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Nothing beats a system where you are employed by a company as a student, apprentice or trainee for a fixed period of time and given day release & night school to learn the theory side of the job.

After a number of years on the job training and taking exams to show you have understood what you have been taught your training period ends, training period being from 3 to 5 years.

If you are any good at the job then every chance you will be kept on or given a good reference when applying elsewhere.

Even at the end of your training it's just the beginning as you need to continue to study to keep up to date.

Without a solid base to start from you have no chance and a degree does not provide that base, by all means go for a degree but after you have done all that basic training and not before.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah but how do these new graduates get this experience if no one is willing to employ them it's a vicious circle if ever I saw one.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah but how do these new graduates get this experience if no one is willing to employ them it's a vicious circle if ever I saw one.

That's where the "Know someone who knows someone" types get in, and the rest are left out...

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

...and this is a true story, but I worked with a guy that had a degree in electronics - but did not know the colour coding for a 13amp plug. Crazy2

Sadly that's all too common these days as it is, very few people genuinely know how to properly wire a plug, which is quite the dangerous situation to be in really, cos 240 full fat volts packs a wallop... Crazy

Simple rhyme for those who need to remember; "Brown is Live, Blue is Not, Green and Yellow Earths the lot"

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

At one time nursing qualifications gained in this country were highly regarded in many parts of the world.

Universities did not recognise nursing qualifications, unlike O or A levels as they had been awarded by a body not recognised by the universities.

Universities managed to persuade the government and nursing organisations the way forward was to train nurses to degree level to have equal status as other professions.

Schools of nursing were closed and student nurses were no longer employed by the hospitals, instead they became students like any other students attending university.

Thus you end up with what you have today.

We are born into history and history is born into us.