Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House of Lords

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

House of Lords

Some talk of moving the House of Lords to York, if that happens will this mean a move for the House of Commons ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
19 REPLIES 19
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: House of Lords

@gleneagles If they move it I bet the Pee-ers will be claiming more than £300 per day!ShockedSad

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles  Would Lancaster do? York and Lncaster have history. And the flowers! Cheesy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Personally I'd be locating both houses 25 miles north of the Titanic...

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

I would move the house of lords to a large underground cavern on the Tsle of Mull,   put the SNP in there with them.... and seal all the entrances, 

Strat
Fixes: 506

@gleneagles wrote:

Some talk of moving the House of Lords to York, if that happens will this mean a move for the House of Commons ?

If the House of Commons stays put, Black Rod had better take up jogging for Queen's Speechs.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@gleneagles wrote:

Source please? This old chesnut comes up every so often, but as pointed out by @Strat above, it would provide interesting logistical problems.

It also makes no sense (to me) - I'm guessing (so could be wrong) - that a majority of members of the HoL spend most of their time in London (or very close) and wouldn't be too happy having to travel further afield.

John
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

It is better to post a link.   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/house-lords-move-york-boris-johnson-north-a9290491.ht...

Wonder if HS2 will eventually get to York ?  Many of the old duffers will no doubt claim first class travel as one of their taxpayer funded perks, could alternate the venue between London and York like the EU did with Brussels and Strasbourg..... will they need another house with a duck pond or moat in York ? 

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Thanks for the link, @wotsup . I haven't read it in full, but IMO, it is mere window dressing and not one of the best ideas they have come up with.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Don't see the point of moving them m'self, but if it helps to reform and make it an elected rather than an appointed assembly, call them Senators, and consign all that pomp to the dustbin of history then all well and good. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

It has been reported as a permanent move.  As mentioned, it will cause logistical problems for the opening of Parliament.  Was it not Mr Blair who promised that some cabinet meetings would be held outside London, although - from memory - I think that only happened once?

Wherever it moves, I hope it's close to an international airport.  It was reported some years ago that one of Their Lordships was a resident of Monaco and would catch the first flight to London on a Monday morning and the last flight back on Wednesday evening.  The day of arrival and of departure didn't count as being in the UK for residency purposes, so he had effectively only been in the UK for one day which helped him avoid the high taxes, legislation for which he and his fellow members had no doubt waved through on the nod.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

reform and make it an elected rather than an appointed assembly, call them Senators,

The arguement about an elected house of lords has always been that at the moment the HoL is just an advisory body

that looks at House of commons bills, and can be overidden - if they were elected they would claim equal power to

HoC and you can probably figure out how complicated things would get.... I think it would help to get politicians out of the M25 bubble,  and if poison dwarf is to become a pee-er the further from Parliament the better, as I said Orkney would be better than York..  In these days of Skype and internet conferencing it shoudnt really matter where the gravy train is parked.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

In which case they could still be elected and still be advisory.

But then maybe that would bring forth the argument of what's the point with no power - which then takes us at it must  to what then is the point of the House of Lords anyway as they can only delay, not prevent.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

@gleneagles  Would Lancaster do? York and Lncaster have history. And the flowers! Cheesy

Lancaster would be the ideal place.

There is already a big building there that would be suitable for them...it's called Lancaster Castle.

😉

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

If the House of Commons stays put, Black Rod had better take up jogging for Queen's Speechs.

It's about time we scrapped much of this traditional nonsense and moved with the times, we all have to move on irrespective of our wish to do so, why should there be exceptions that cost time and money but no gain ?