Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House insurance

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

House insurance

Have you ever thought you might be paying too much. Well, seems comparethemarket might not be so hot into saving you money. They have just received a large fine for flouting competition law. Maybe not as simples as it might seem! I'd have thought it obvious from day 1 that having 2 year contracts restricting insurers going elswhere on a 'live' market was bound to distort that market. Whether that helped or hindered the consumer, who knows.

And what seems par for the modern business world, yet another company that refuses to just hold up its hands and plead guilty as charged. Time to shop around even more.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

Re: House insurance

Obviously, we don't know the full story, but the last paragraph should have been the first. If you are going to compare prices, would you not logically do more than one comparison? Although, if those clauses did exist, then yes, they would distort the market.

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The fine should have been bigger, or better still the company closed down.

As usual the ones being fleeced are the customers, if a company is unwilling to recognise it has done wrong there is every chance they will make a few cosmetic changes and continue in the same way.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

If any quote received seems rather high then the 'are you having a laugh' part of my brain kicks in.  

Insurance of any sort is just a necessary evil and one that plays on our fear of the unknown. 👿

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Mav
Fixes: 434

Whenever I use a comparison site I then go direct to the insurer's website that seems to offer the best deal. Often I find I can get an even better deal especially if I then ring up after getting the quote.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

The fine should have been bigger, or better still the company closed down.

I feel sorry for the meerkats; probably already fur-loughed, and now you want to put them out of work completely.  Work is hard to come by when you are a two-father family with a strong Russian accent and a young child to look after.  They are probably also still grieving over the massacre of their distant cousins in Denmark.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've always avoided comparethemarket ever since I compared them against moneysupermarket and found most of their quotes were £20-£30 more. Something I put down to the cost of the "free" meercat.

The one thing you can depend on with businesses of today Is that they are good at lying.