cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House in a barn

Fixes: 125

House in a barn

Couple lose four-year battle over £500,000 home they hid inside this barn
They tried to outwit council planners by disguising their house as a windowless barn and surrounding it with farmyard machinery.

But instead of hay, it had three bedrooms, a study, a bathroom, lounge, reception area, utility space, storeroom and a gym.

In April 2009, the High Court ordered their eviction, but the decision was overturned in January 2010. However, the Supreme Court judges reviewed the case and yesterday upheld the original judgment. They ruled that Mr Beesley intended to deceive the council from the outset to exploit a legal loophole by secretly using the building as a residential home for four years.

Bang goes that two-storey shed I've got at the end of the garden, then  Lips are sealed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: House in a barn

Does this also mean that the cows I keep to mow the lawn will have to move out of the lounge as I don't have a livestock licence?
N/A

Can anyone tell me how it could be a 'luxury' house when it has no windows?  It doesn't look very luxurious to me (or am I missing something?).
Anyway, it's a pity that they're not travelers - doubtless they'd have got permission in a jiffy and brought their comrades to join them.
geoffp0
Grafter

Here is another one from last year, it looked great on TV it was a mock Tudor Castle Crazy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-510161/Hay-presto-Farmer-unveils-illegal-mock-Tudor-castle-t...
nadger
Rising Star

Don't you just love the surname of the owners  Wink
Fixes: 125

Now you got me humming 'If I were a Rich Man'. Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still