cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail warning

Denzil
Grafter

Hotmail warning

My charity is getting an increasing number of dodgy emails from Hotmail accounts. The email typically just contains a link to a web address with a random-looking combination of letters and numbers. I haven't tried clicking on any of them to see what they do! These come from people who have previously contacted us and have put our email address on their contacts list. It would appear their accounts have been compromised. I would suggest that any of you using Hotmail consider changing your passwords.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Hotmail warning

Yes, you're right Denzil.  I had an email from a hotmail address of a close friend on Sunday.  It appears she'd got a virus on her PC and that was the cause.  She has changed her email address to deal with the problem.  I told her to make sure her AV was up to date and run a scan.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Am I correct in thinking that providing you do not click on any links in e-mail address and all your firewall/anti virus programs are up to date you cannot get a virus from dodgy e-mails or could a virus be contained within the e-mail itself
Community Veteran

I've not been able to open Firefox this afternoon.  There is a security problem with Adobe Flash.  Eventually decided to re-install FF and follow the instructions on Adobe Flash and all is well again.  I thought it was to do with Hotmail as I'd just opened a Hotmail email but I think that wasn't the case.  Just coincidence. As far as I know if you don't click any links or attachments in an email you're safe. Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if the e-mail has any pictures on it, even just a dot, you could get a virus downloaded, Thunderbird asks if you want to accept images, trouble comes if it is one of your regulars who have automatic acceptance
Also I hope you dont have a preview pane
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My hotmail block's all Images Links etc, But as Pierre_Pierre says If they are In your safe list then really It's not that safe, So a safe list really should be a safe list, I have very few In my safe list.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Also If you think your Hot mail has been compromised then see here..
Password Reset
If you are unable to remember your Windows Live ID password, you can request a password reset online.
You can reset your password via multiple Password Reset Tools:  Alternate E-Mail, SMS, Trusted PC, Secret Question/Answer, or by using the secure account validation page.

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=bf5d34bf-db28-44ca-ac9a-93838d81b2d6
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Am I correct in thinking that providing you do not click on any links in e-mail address and all your firewall/anti virus programs are up to date you cannot get a virus from dodgy e-mails or could a virus be contained within the e-mail itself

The email itself won't contain a virus, as it is basically just text. Viruses will come as attachments, either an executable file or in some cases, hidden in images. Even so, if you keep your AV up to date and don't click on any links you are not sure of, then you should be safe. Incidentally, a firewall doesn't help you in this situation. Firewalls stop people getting in to your system from outside. Emails have to be let through, so any virus attached to an email has already got past the firewall, so you then have to rely on your AV (or use Linux  Cool).