cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital waiting lists?- Nah! and Luzern paper waster.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hospital waiting lists?- Nah! and Luzern paper waster.

Wifey had her post-op check up after her cataract op four weeks ago. AOK and she went straight on list to have the other eye done. I was quite taken aback yesterday, when the hospital called, if she could come in today ( guess someone had cancelled). As wifey was out and hospital needed immediate reply, she'll have to wait her turn.

Same thing happened to me 49 years ago on list for hernia op. I got offered an early date because someone had cancelled. I think I knew why; TV previous night had shown a film in which someone had died having the same op.

I'm a paper waster! We decided to apply for postal voting, so downloaded the forms, and prepared one for each of us, all neatly typed with d.o.bs and signing date. Proud me, until I am told that I had but our birth year in the signing date. I duly altered the stored masters, and printed off copies. Wifey jokes, that she hoped I hadn't also corrected our birth years. I had; two persons in their eighties apparently were born but a few months ago.

I hope they won't take me away just yet.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
15 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hospital waiting lists?- Nah! and Luzern paper waster.

I get a bit like that at times. I find a coffee, a double check of things and a Valium sandwich does the trick. Grin It was only a week or two ago when wifey asked when I was getting sectioned. Undecided

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Often forget to take my reading glasses when going out so swmbo has to read the menu out loud to me but several times have been caught out when alone and needed to sign something, would not be the first time I have put my signature where the date was supposed to go or on some other part of the form.

My writing is bad enough anyway, imagine what it looks like when I can hardly see what I am writing, no excuse for not having glasses with me, must have a dozen pairs of cheap reading glasses around the house........just a matter of remembering where I put them.

Luzern
Pro

I can lose them when they're on my head but not my nose. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Varifocals reduce the need to remove spectacles from one's nose.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Pro

@AlaricAdair I was mentioning spectacles generally, but TBH I don't think varifocals are always the bees knees.

Now are you all sitting comfortably?

Having  ditched the registration form, which I'd completed on line, I the address for the postal vote applications. On finding it there was my council's version of the form--- entirely different from those from the Electoral Commission site we had filled in.Ticked off

Fixes: 125

AlaricAdair wrote:

Varifocals reduce the need to remove spectacles from one's nose.

I have varifocals which are great for reading, walking and driving, etc but do have to change to a pair of fixed-focal for computer use.

Actually just picked up a two new pairs of varifocals and a fixed-focal pair yesterday. The original eye test was two weeks ago but the first pairs of varifocals were made too strong and gave me terrible headaches. One re-test and another week later all is fine.

But I do hate having to get used to yet another slight change in where the focal length changes but usually only takes a day or two.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Pro

I've a pair of interview glasses for computer and reading, They focus near and mid way. I find them tolerable when singing with .my choral society, as my music copy is clear, but conductor and most else out front not too blurred,

Wife has had several problems with varifocals from a well known national source, and has changed to a local chain. They told her to get her cataracts looked at, whereas the attendee optician at the national said, there was nothing to worry about yet.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Luzern

Not sure what you mean by, 'tell her to get her cataracts looked at' ?

Usual process is for the opticians to write to your GP who should then pass you on to a hospital consultant for a more detailed test. Cataracts are due to the pressure in your eye building up which could result in damage to the optic nerve, most people are prescribed eye drops which keep the pressure down.

Luzern
Pro

@gleneagles I was being conversationally loose. Yes, the usual protocol was followed i.e. optician > GP > Central Booking System > Patient Choice > Hospital.

Cataracts have nothing to do with pressure; that's glaucoma. My optician no longer uses the big old puff, but a small hand help thingy.

A cataract is a clouding of the lens in your eye. 

Community Veteran

I have contacts, but been told off that I can't wear them all the time, because my eyes have lack of oxygen.

Hate glasses, you put them down somewhere in your home. Forget where.
Can't find them and get paranoid about treading/sitting on them.

Not like a mobile where you can phone it from your landline. Been there before Smiley

Fixes: 125

Now there's an opening for an invention and an app. Add a SIM to your glasses and a map of the current location within the house appears in the appCheesy

As for contacts, I haven't worn them since 1989 when they got dried onto my eyes and I managed to scrape the cornea off both eyes getting them out. Worst pain I have ever experiencedCry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Pro

Alex wrote:

I have contacts, but been told off that I can't wear them all the time, because my eyes have lack of oxygen.

Hate glasses, you put them down somewhere in your home. Forget where.
Can't find them and get paranoid about treading/sitting on them.

Not like a mobile where you can phone it from your landline. Been there before Smiley

The cure for placing your I-ask-you on the glass is a pair of the bendy ones. they're nice and light too.

Community Veteran

@Mav
Worst one I had is when I blinked at could feel something was up. Had to go to work toilets to sort it. The lens broke into 2 pieces and I had to pinch my upper eyelid (where they were) to get the things out.
Sorted in the end but a hairy ten minutes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I use varifocal for general life, but have single vision pair for use on PC and in my workshop.  The varifocal are not much good when using a bandsaw and working by touch can lead to fingerectomy. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.