cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital food...

Fixes: 121

Hospital food...

What's your experience of hospital meals?
Some poor examples here.
When I was in hospital back in 2002 (I think) the meals were OKish - edible but not very substantial in size, but I have a big appetite.
In 2010 when my dad was in hospital frequently the lunchtime menu was sandwiches with a hot (ahem) meal in the evening. I always felt that there wasn't much care put into the menus or the resultant dishes.
I suspect each hospital has different caterers whether on-site or not.
I have always felt that when one is ill appetite is helped somewhat by the presentation of the food given.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Hospital food...

Was in hospital for a few days, many many years ago... like you say... the food then was OK ish... just enough to keep you from hunger !...
Like all NHS departments... Hospitals have to budget and try to stay within budgets... Food is, I suppose, a secondary consideration, after paying for the doctors and nurses and equipment needed to provide the service WE expect... Some hospitals, have actually considered the mealtimes and contents, and like you say.. good food is a good way of making patients feel better, and therefore reducing their "in bed" staying time....
Obviously the quality of the food, is related to price... and that is where the system needs to consider the budget restraints....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Only time I have had the pleasure 2 years ago, the food was good and if anything I would say the portions were bigger than I normally eat.  My only critique was the lack of sugar or jam for cereal.  I like weetabix but it does need sugar or jam on it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I have private cover so often have sampled their hospital food. You are presented with a menu and if there's nothing you like on it they will make you something else. Very accommodating Smiley Smiley

I had private treatment in 2004 funded by the NHS and the difference in menus, presentation and portions was substantial.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Unfortunately i am a frequent user or my local Hospital , Bradford Royal Infirmary and have found  if you ask for a English meal  , its pretty damn poor But if you opt for the Halal its twice as good  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

That sounds like sacrilege / discrimination to a English meal  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I had private treatment in 2004 funded by the NHS and the difference in menus, presentation and portions was substantial.

Things may have changed a little since you were a patient. The NHS has contracts with many private hospitals and obviously keep an eye on costs. The menus offered to NHS patients are more limited than offered to the private patients in the same hospital. As a private patient you receive a welcome pack of 'goodies' and a free daily newspaper, neither of which are available on the NHS. Free tea and coffee 24/7 for patient and guests is always welcome. One hospital I've used even offers a wine list with dinner Smiley
Having said this, the standard of medical and nursing care is identical for both sets of patient.

Yes - I should have made it clearer that I was treated in a private hospital in 2004 as there was no local facility to treat me and the waiting time for NHS was around 18 months.
I don't remember a welcome pack but there may well have been but we did get a daily paper and tea/coffee available for free 24/7. Breakfast was an all you could eat buffet. Not a sandwich in sight for other meals (unless you requested it, of course) and soup was always hot plus ample portions.

Community Veteran

On the point of medical care there is no doubt you get better care in a private hospital whether as an NHS or private patient.
This is because in a private hospital all you medical care is given by a consultant whereas in an NHS hospital your care could be given by a senior registrar or registrar.
You have to be careful about food though in a private hospital. One time I was in for an op and if my consultant visited during afternoon tea he would nick one of my biscuits Smiley

Funnily enough I had further treatment in 2010 for the same condition under the NHS with the same consultant; the only difference was really the decor and the food.
In the private hospital the doctors frequently took their meals with the patents with most discussions far removed from ailments, illnesses and treatments Smiley

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

my various stays in hospitals around the country have always had similar results in terms of the food, by far the best offerings though were last year when I had an impromptu stay at the local hospital and had a choice of 5 options for each meal with all of it being exactly the same as the offerings for purchase in the hospital restaurant (apart from having been put into hot lockers for ward delivery) there was no difference though in terms of care or staff to when I had a planned stop in the Bupa hospital in berks a few years ago aside from more non medical staff wandering about with clipboards trying to justify there existence in the NHS hospital.......
but compared to when I was a nipper the main meals were far nicer more recently (having been prepared to a higher standard) although with the desert's the inverse was true.
perhaps this lack of difference between private/public food is down to them all following the same base nutritional guidelines and for the most part the same suppliers, and probably staff of the same educational standard since it now tastes more like a decent eatery prepared grub, which is a far cry from some of the meals ive suffered in the past apparently made by top class chef's .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I was in hospital today (for reasons I wish not to disclose why) and had lunch.  I had a chicken curry and found it quite appetizing!  Maybe my trust care about the quality of food!  Wink
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

TV chef James Martin ran a series of day-time programmes with a personal campaign to improve hospital food, using fresh cooked locally supplied produce at lower cost than the NHS was paying for pre-pared chilled meals.
Did he get anywhere with his vendetta anyone know?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The original hospital was Scarborough Hospital. He certainly improved the food but the last I heard the catering was going to be done by the Trust at a central kitchen so Scarborough Hospital lost their on-site facilities.
Last week I had a meeting at another hospital he featured. Prior to the meeting I visited the dining room and had lunch. I was not that impressed. I inquired about the James Martin initiative and it had been scrapped. After James left they found it was too time absorbing.
I wonder how many of the other hospitals featured in the TV programmes are still offering his menus Undecided