Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital. BBC 2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hospital. BBC 2

Anyone see that program last night ?

Amazing, surgeons and full teams of medical staff waiting for permission to carry out operations, which would not be given until a bed was available in the intensive care unit.

Seems quite common for operations to be cancelled at the last minute due to insufficient intensive care beds.

All that money being wasted on staff and resources along with the anxiety caused to patients and relatives who have operations cancelled.

No one seems to be in overall charge of the NHS, by in charge I mean someone who has the power to make some decisions to get this sorted out.

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Hospital. BBC 2

@gleneagles  Yes there is. Simon Stevens. Pointed a few things out to the Government yesterday apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38582285

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@nozzer

OK fair enough he is in overall charge.

I did see that interview but does he have the power to make the necessary decisions to rectify the matter.

For example there has been much talk about the need to identify what the NHS should be dealing with rather than taking on everything. perhaps there are some surgical procedures that are non life threatening that people who want them should be made to pay for them.

How many people who go to A&E really need to go there ?

How many go to their GP with depression caused by social problems ? eg Marital problems, Housing problems, Financial problems and the rest......What can GP do in 10 minutes apart from listen and prescribe medication for depression but all that is a waste of time if the underlying problem cannot be sorted out.

Tough questions like these require tough answers, we hear a lot of talk but see little action.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles.  Most question of this type have political repercussions by their very nature, so they tend to be addressed by politicians. Whether Mr Stevens should be doing it is another question.

EDIT: From what I have read, he isn't in the Government's best books right now. He is considered as one of Cameron's best buddies. He knows this and probably doesn't worry about speaking his mind openly, especially as he might be put out to grass. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary politics being created around (or by?) Mrs May at the moment, which isn't exactly helping matters. Someone needs to get a grip (as Arkwright used to tell Granville!).

Community Veteran

@gleneagles You make some interesting points. Clinical matters are the responsibility of local Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG). They decide what treatments can/cannot be given. My CCG for example will still pay for infertility treatment whereas the neighbouring one has decided they will not. Bariatric surgery is another one that some CCGs will fund and others won't.

The NHS is trying to work closer with County/District Councils who provide social services. This allows patients with non-medical illness to be referred to the appropriate social service unit thus freeing up GPs time.

Community Veteran

@artmo  I took it to mean that gleneagles meant who guides changes in public behavior rather than who pays for what. Hence the recent statement by Hunt to suggest that people with "simple" colds and coughs (self diagnosis is dangerous?) should not go to A&E. You are quite correct about a CCG approving (or not) the expenditure.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

There was a case reported in the media in the last few days where a perfectly viable kidney had to be thrown away due to lack of an intensive care bed for the prospective recipient.  The difference this operation would have made to the recipient, and presumably her family, can't be quantified in financial terms, and she will now continue to use NHS dialysis services which isn't cheap either.

I watch 24hrs in A&E, and it's truly amazing what NHS emergency staff can do, but it isn't cheap.