Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honey pot traps

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Honey pot traps

We've all experienced them, and some of us have been caught out by them and no, not with your trousers down but with driving downhill in a 30mph zone only to be clocked 'speeding' by one of those little white vans tucked away to one side.

One of my many pet hates and please, no comments guys along the lines of "well, you should have slowed down" as we all know they have sweet fanny adams to do with road safety and that they are just a nice little easy peasy cash cows for the powers that be.

Ticked off

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
39 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Honey pot traps

Fixed speed cameras are just cash cows !  as people slow down then speed up again .

Unmarked cars with handheld camera Smiley  now that would work and be more deterrent !

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some Idiot last Friday was driving like a looney, along one of our Country Roads with lots of bends, I saw him coming up in the rear view mirror, trying to overtake cars, finally successful, then he overtook me, I was doing 40mph on Cruise, as I passed a parked car, he must have been doing 70+mph, very little space, I think he must have gone onto the verge, then across double white lines, and around a blind corner on the wrong side of the road !!

A little white sports car, all captured on Dashcam, which the Police now have a copy of.

They are keeping a look out for him.

It was 8:45am, so he was probably driving to work, and hopefully at a similar time each morning !!

We do have the Police Radar vans around quite often, the Derbyshire policy is to advertise whereabouts in the local paper the week before though !

They do tend to always locate in the same spots, and oncoming motorists will usually flash you to warn of their presence, but as I drive everywhere locally using Cruise Control, which holds speed going down hills, these warning are unnecessary for myself.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

@Infinity what was the speed limit on the road you were on?

f it was 40, I can understand your actions.

If NSL, different reaction!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes the speed limit was 40mph.

A Country road, with lots of bends, and houses both sides in sections.

And lots of Double White Lines.

Most of the roads around here are at most 40mph or 50mph speed limits

Not in use at the time, but my Satnav also shows me the actual Speed limit for each section of road I travel on.

And in the car I was driving, I have the speedo set up to beep at 30mph and 50mph

I have a clean license, and want to keep it that way !

The Cruise control is spot on, very exact, and used a lot.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We have a steep hill, Portsdown Hill, as the entry road on the A3 into portsmouth... not a road the police put their speed checks on,  cos everyone knows there`s traffic lights for a junction to the hospital 3/4 down, and everyone rides down with brake lights glowing...  some may be doing 35 to 40 ( its supposed to be a 30 limit).. but there hasn`t been any accidents on there, that I know of in 50 years...

Going up..  ?  well again, most people "give it some welly"... and the general speed is, again, between 35 & 40... but again,.. a junction at the top, so everyone knows the road well, and manages to arrive at the top doing 30 mph, ... !

I was starting to drive up the hill one day, when I checked my mirror and there was a police car filling it.. ! .. so I very carefully slipped into 3rd gear, and drove up the hill at a sedate 29 mph....  I bet the cops were fuming... (cost they also "give it welly" to get up the hill... (I have followed them ... discreetly).. ( no blue lights )...

If they were to put a speed van on the down hill section... I wonder if you could claim....  " I wasn`t actually driving..... the car was going down on gravity alone.... "  and get away with it  ? ? ? Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

"Unmarked cars with handheld camera"?

Well yes that would help, but only if they were used to catch the right knob heads on our roads and not in those little sweet spots just to catch the unwary and oft law-abiding motorists.

Thank the Lord and local Council for those bus passes that's all I can say but I tell you what, those busses can skate along at a fair old pace!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

We've all experienced them, and some of us have been caught out by them and no, not with your trousers down but with driving downhill in a 30mph zone only to be clocked 'speeding' by one of those little white vans tucked away to one side.

One of my many pet hates and please, no comments guys along the lines of "well, you should have slowed down" as we all know they have sweet fanny adams to do with road safety and that they are just a nice little easy peasy cash cows for the powers that be.

Ticked off

Someones just got a ticket then...

You say nothing to do with road safety... Speed kills. If you're in a 30 limit then thats the limit. Just because you're going downhill doesn't mean you can go faster than that - thats what the brake pedal is for. If you can't be bothered to use the brake pedal then the arguement holds that you can't be bothered to think of others safety.

Yes of course it will also make money for the state, why would they not take advantage of something so obvious where people are going to knowingly and intentionally flout the law? - You only have to move your foot over a few inches and press the pedal! A kid could still run out into the road on a hill - it doesn't just happen on flat roads you know. Additionally on a hill going downwards it will take even longer for your vehicle to stop if you emergency brake than it would on flat land.

And no, we haven't all experienced them. I've seen them and driven through them lawfully but never 'experienced' any of them.

I never understand people who say roads are safer at night. Sure.. you can see the headlights of other vehicles coming the other way.. but that doesn't mean you can see pedestrians, horses, cats, dogs... all of which could send the driver into a spin, tree, ditch etc when they see it at the last moment.

I was coming home from work one night down a major A road. Some kiddy had obviously thought that night time was safe and he could floor his car to the max. Unfortunately the stretch of road has a small bridge at the end where you drive up and over and then straight round a bend on the other side of it. Yup, you guessed it, he obviously didn't know or see this and was going at such a speed his car had jumped off the bridge, landed on the grass the other side (where the road bends round) and gone straight into very large and very solid tree. The tree is no longer alive having been since cut down. Sadly neither is the driver and his passengers whos lives ended with a lot of flowers being left on the site of the accident for many days after the incident.

It's all well and good thinking the state is trying to stitch everyone up (and trust me, I love a good conspiracy as much as the next person) but the DfT has done many safety experiments over the years and the rules of the road are based on these in order to provide a safe driving environment. IF you and another car hit each other at 30mph thats a 60mph closing speed. The universe isn't going to decide your special and change that to 5mph for you to crash and survive without a scratch. You also can't hit SHIFT + R and respawn your life and car - it's not a flaming computer game, it's real life.

Then there are also the clueless idiots who really are stupid on the roads. You might be a great driver with the most powerful brakes on earth but you can't expect the state to analyze every single driver - you only need to take a phone call hands free and that could be enough to distract you.. and thats why they apply the rules to everyone.

It might be total pants but would you really want to drive on roads without any rules or standards in this country with so many cars? - I'd rather go and live in a cave if that happened.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

but I tell you what, those busses can skate along at a fair old pace!

Yes and I have known bus drivers to be sacked for it. I heard of one ages ago where the driver ploughed a bus into another vehicle or building (can't remember much aboutu it now) causing over £100k damage. The police and his employer suspected he'd been speeding but couldn't prove it. He couldn't remember anything about it. The bus company dismissed him after a formal investigation saying that he was potentially dangerous on the road as he could black out again causing another accident.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Sorry, but you miss the point of my post. I have no issue with upholding the law or road safety, the issue is with the obvious way these speed vans are used to generate income - can you not see that? As for speeding tickets I have had them in the past but now use the bus or car depending on circumstances. No point spending money on petrol when you can sometimes use that free bus pass!

Community Veteran

I'm all in favour speed traps and have no sympathy for drivers who infringe and get caught, With modern day lower cost  technology the police should have some form of mobile Average Speed monitor which they could discreetly place along a section of country road, subject to signs announcing  "Average speed cameras" in the area.

Now if only the police could introduce a minimum speed limit for cyclists, perhaps 50% of the motor traffic maximum speed limit, the roads would be a lot safer. Slow cyclists blocking the roads are a menace.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Well yes, but as I said to 

Fixes: 47

Why not build Satnav technology into all vehicles which restricts the speed of the vehicle to the limit imposed on the particular road they are on.

Naturally all vehicles would have a maximum restricted speed of 70mph.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Possible on new ones I suppose, but it would be a nightmare to retrofit them to existing vehicles I would imagine. 

Fixes: 47

I don't know, a modification to the engine management system maybe (VW seem good at that)

I was thinking more of new cars rather than modding existing ones.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation