cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeplugs

G3YBO
Grafter

Homeplugs

Have a look at  http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/367399/spooks-powerline-networking-disrupts-our-work

Future problems and not very green

Roger
14 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Homeplugs

that is not home plugs it is the cables between those big pylons etc
Fixes: 47

The solution as I see it is to replace all cabling on the national grid with screened cabling. Tongue
But seriously, as you say the technology is out there and gaining ground. Too late to ban it now.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Home plugs are also causing problems which is to be expected when no home wireing is screened. I wonder what affect it has on digital electricity meters?
Quote from: pierre_pierre
that is not home plugs it is the cables between those big pylons etc
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi...............Yes there are some plans to run a co-ax cable but not yet......As for mains meters, on tests done so far, all seems
fine.....
Regards
Roger
Community Veteran

I know a lot of amateur radio enthusiasts are not impressed with homeplugs. I'll be interested to here peoples opinions on them and how they would affect a router. I was once trying to locate some rein which may have been affecting my router. You can't really do it with a am radio as it picks up the adsl signal coming through the ethernet cable.
Can home plugs cause rein issues with a router?
Heloman
Grafter

Maybe I'm the only one who has  no idea what you me by "rein"  Sad
I use homeplugs because I found that they give me both a faster and more stable connection than either WiFi or a lengthy wired telephone extension .
I have found absolutely no adverse effects.
I am not an amateur radio person!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well frankly, i think GCHQ should have looked into this technology a bit more 15 years ago when it was still being sold as kits by Maplin. They should of foreseen this as a possible problem and carried out research back then. They've had a good 5 years to get their act together from when this was considered new and now its finally starting to take off they're moaning about it.
As others have said, it's pointless moaning now. Stable door, horse bolted kind of situation IMO. I can't help but wonder why they've never complained about Wifi, mobile phones, 3G internet... seems odd to me unless they've been sending their own data over the public power network and its interfering with that.
I don't use homeplugs,i've known of the tech for the last 15 years but it simply doesn't interest me. As useful as it might be, i'd be hesitant about who else could gain access to my network traffic.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My girlfriend had no end of problems with wireless through her house, Her master socket Is In the kitchen of all places, Anyway I got her some home plugs and she hasn't looked back since, Everything working throughout the house flawlessly and much much better than wifi and the problems that come with It.
Community Veteran

I have used them for about 5 years to run a ps3. It is a lot more stable than wifi. Ideally I would have ethernet going to it but as my house has mainly wooden flooring I'm not running a cable I can't hide right through the house. I have done some ping tests and saw how long it takes to copy a file of known size and the speeds are pretty good.
As useful as it might be, i'd be hesitant about who else could gain access to my network traffic.

They are pretty safe that way, the traffic is encrypted and you can use a wep key same as you would in with wifi. Unless you share a common earth with a neighbour at the fuse board there should be no reason why your internet traffic would be on someone else's 240v system. There is a remote possibility that could happen in for instance a block of flats sharing a fuse board for shared hallway lighting etc but again you can password protect your system.
All in all very handy devices, but I'm not techie enough to know how they could interfere with the router or adsl signal itself. I have been shown a link might have even been in this board where radio am people are petitioning to get them stopped but as another poster mentioned as a platform for getting adsl round your house using your existing wiring they seem to be going from strength to strength possibly far out weighing the number of people using chicken boxes and if something was going to be done about them it should have been a lot sooner.
As streaming HD to tv's needing 200mbps is getting more common place I guess they will be getting even more popular as there's usually a spare 3 pin socket behind the TV on most occasions.   
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi..............Suggest you have a look at  http://www.ban-plt.co.uk/
Its not leakage from wire to wire, they are radio wireless and can cause major problems in a area....
Regards
Roger
Community Veteran

phew!  i was considering getting some homeplugs.  that's made me think twice.  if i'm thinking twice, maybe others will - if they know.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I thought these two paragraphs were rather revealing....

taken from para 7 & 8 on this page......http://lakeconews.com/content/view/18994/932/

#
The ebb and flow of gas and electricity into homes discloses detailed information about the private details of daily life. Energy usage data, measured moment by moment, allows the reconstruction of a household’s activities: when people awake, when they come home, when they are on vacation, and even when they take a hot bath. Smart Meters represent a new form of technology that relays detailed hitherto confidential information reflecting the times and amounts of the use of electric power without adequately protecting that data from being accessed by unauthorized persons or entities and, as such, these meters pose an unreasonable intrusion of utility customers’ privacy rights and security interests. The fact the CPUC has not established safeguards for privacy in its regulatory approvals may violate the principles set forth by the United States Supreme Court in Kyllo v. United States (2001), 533 U.S. 27.
#
There is now evidence showing that problems with Smart Meters could adversely impact the amateur radio communication network that operates throughout California and neighboring states, as well as other radio emergency communication systems that serve first responders, government agencies, and the public.

G3YBO
Grafter

Just to add to this PLT effort...........
http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?category=conferences&rlink=itu-plt-forum-11&lang=en
So who is right on this mess

Roger