cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeless People

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

Homeless People

It is very sad, to see people with nothing, but the clothes they are wearing, begging, and trying to survive on our streets.

However, a certain amount of them, have no "right" to be there, but are just taking advantage of passers-by, and, as a recent programme on tv has shown, are making sums of up to £600 per week, just for "dressing down" and pretending to be homeless.

We should be able to give help to the genuine, needy people.   but How Do We Distinguish Between The Genuine Homeless, and the genuine scroungers.

Should the Genuine Homeless, be given a placard by Social Security, or the Police, or some other council body?   but... these will, then, probably be "cloned" by unscruplous scroungers, as is the case with the Disabled Badge, and being sold on, or re-produced and sold.

For the Genuine Homeless, every day, and every night, becomes a battle to survive,... but with nothing to look forward to, apart from another day and another night of the same battle, with the prospect of being "moved on" by the police...because someone with more money than them and a "nice" lifestyle, has complained about the homeless beggar... .. Which, doesn`t really help them.... all it does, is put the fear of the police moving them on..added to their woes.

How would YOU suggest this problem be tackled? 

35 REPLIES 35
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Homeless People

Issuing a homeless person with a badge would be demeaning and morally destructive to the individual concerned. If one does want to help them then by far the best option is to give your money directly to a Charity of choice, as the money will then be used to help the homeless by means of food and night shelters.

Anyone pretending to be homeless isn’t going to roll up to a shelter at night when they have a comfy bed at home.

RobPN
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

I walked past one of these people yesterday, sitting on the pavement with blankets etc.

He was sitting on the shady (cold) side of the street and although I didn't suggest it to him, I thought why not sit across the road where the sun was shining and IMO would be preferable if only for the warmth.

The cynic in me thinks he possibly had an ulterior motive in trying to get the sympathy vote by looking to be more unfortunate than sitting in the sun would make him look.

This is in a town where a couple of years or so ago one of the street 'homeless' was followed back to his Audi TT when he packed up at the end of his daily begging session.

Edit: typo

Community Veteran

Whilst I agree, that giving a "badge" would be demeaning to the person receiving, I was trying to figure out a way of letting the "passer-by" know the situation.   Giving money to "charity".... yes.. that is a good option, but seemingly, it does not remove the unfortunates from the streets.

My personal choice would be to use the "proceeds of crime" monies, found at Drug dealers homes, and other places.... along with the monies received from the sale of their expensive goods, that they ( any criminal ) has purchased with the proceeds of their crime(s).. e.g. mercedes car, private boat/yacht etc.

The monies, so procured, usually amount to, from lower thousands, to many thousands, and could be used to purchase and furnish accomodation suitable for the unfortunate homeless peoples..

. As there will be an "on going" supply of drugs, and therefore an "on going" supply of proceeds of crime, the funding would be ongoing too...

By using this money, in this way, it would probably also reduce the crime rates amongst the homeless, by removing the need for them to "go shopping" for other peoples property, to fund their basic way of life, as is.

Community Veteran

You can't do that @shutter if you used the money derived from the Proceeds of Crime, the Police would have even less funding Grin

But I understand what you mean, a way to identify a bona fide homeless person would be an asset to them as it would reassure anyone giving money to them that they were in genuine need. Wasn't there a scheme somewhere that did give out a badge, I'm sure I remember reading about it now I've had time to think.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I had always been of the view that for the majority it was a lifestyle choice and after seeing that programme on television it only served to confirm my view. 

If a chap is banging out a decent tune on a guitar say (and not saying they should sing for their supper in a demeaning way) then I've always dropped a few coins into the case. 

Better to give to the many so that the few genuine ones are not excluded? Difficult. 

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

If a chap is banging out a decent tune on a guitar say (and not saying they should sing for their supper in a demeaning way) then I've always dropped a few coins into the case. 

Those guys, (buskers) are generally, not homeless, just making a few tax free pounds, doing something they enjoy doing, and getting paid, by the gullible public.  Though some of them, may, indeed, be "licensed" buskers,... so it is hard to tell.

Community Veteran

@Mook   But... does that "proceeds of crime" actually go into the police fund?  or is it taken by the local council and put into the "general fund" and then a "portion of it" is allocated to fund the police, so that it "looks" like the money is being used in the way it would (on the face of it) appear...

My suggestion would be more "transparent" inasmuch as a separate account, properly administered, and verified,  would need to be kept, to show the "income" and the "outgoings" according to the "business" of providing the service to the Homeless. E.g. property purchases, upkeep, maintaining staff, food, clothing, bedding, furniture, etc.

Community Veteran

I honestly don't know @shutter, I suspect (hope) it is used for local projects to help offenders or to prevent someone becoming an offender.

RobPN
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

@shutter wrote:

. As there will be an "on going" supply of drugs, and therefore an "on going" supply of proceeds of crime, the funding would be ongoing too...

By using this money, in this way, it would probably also reduce the crime rates amongst the homeless, by removing the need for them to "go shopping" for other peoples property, to fund their basic way of life, as is.

@shutter 

Many (obviously not all) of the people you are suggesting be helped by the use of 'drug' money will themselves have a drug habit (smack, crack, spice etc.) and will be 'going shopping' to raise money to feed their habit.  So with them it'd be a case of 'What goes around comes around', i.e. the money received would go back to dealers.  Roll eyes

Some of them are even dealers themselves. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Mentioned this topic to Mrs Minivanman earlier and she tells her sister working in Swansea often recognises people from Neath, which is sort of the next door town and not being quite so up market by comparison, the 'homeless' travel the ten miles or so in order I guess to empty slightly deeper pockets. It's certainly becoming more of a problem than it ever was, but I guess like the rich and the poor, the homeless like the hungry, they will always be with us - and no, that is not an acceptance of the situation - far from it. 

Why basic rent free shelter cannot be provided I don't know. Some open fronted yet secure pod type thing with a bench inside and which would be vacated during the day for cleaning by the Council? 

There is an answer there has to be, what is lacking is the will to do it. Would traders be willing to fund the cost and maintenance of one or two pods in return for more pleasant surrounding ergo more trade by customers? Don't see why not.    

PS and just to say, in my much younger days I was on the edge of being homeless on more than one occasion m'self so...

Community Veteran

There are pod hotels around the world that are simply a bed to sleep in, some do have TV and WiFi, but they exist because they are cheap and there is a market for them. So maybe something similar for the homeless would be an option in the interim. The sad fact is that there is more property lying empty than there are homeless people. A sad indictment on society when this can happen.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Ah yes I've heard about those in Japan.

Weren't they tried in London or Paris but without much success? Not for the homeless of course, these were for payiing customers. Rather crash out in an ETAP or an F1 m'self.   

Community Veteran

There are a few of them around the UK but how popular they are -v- the mainstream I don't know.

Community Veteran

@RobPN   Agreed, to a point... about what goes around,... however, those that you are saying are "probably" users and dealers, are doing so, because of the situation they are in,... the "dealers" amongst them will probably be "runners", earning a few quid to feed themselves, rather than the "Big Money Dealers" who supply them.. Providing a "safe environment" for those people could possibly help to bring them off the drugs, thus lessening the likelihood of committing further crime.  Some of the homeless really NEED someone to reach out to them, but nobody, in authority, with the will, and power to do something, seems to be doing anything positive, except spouting how many millions of pounds they are (supposedly) channeling into the system to counteract any criticism of their position.

Local housing by the local council, is a difficult place to access, for many, on the breadline...

.There is a certain element "behind the counter", who will put all kinds of obstacles and excuses forward, as to why they cannot do anything to help,... the most favourite being "you made yourself homeless, by.......... "  so we cannot help you... usually the ........ part of that is because they had a row with the neighbours, or did not pay the rent, or some other reason, due to their particular hardships...

Lack of compassion and understanding from the local housing, about the individual`s needs, situation, whatever, are covered in the "you made yourself homeless by......... " response to any one asking for HELP...

Their response is like saying to someone who falls into a river, or the sea..... you made yourself fall in the water, by not being careful about where you were walking... so we cannot help you by sending a lifeboat, or chucking you a lifesaver.... find your own answer to the problem..

Yes, there are those who really DO try to "buck the system",... but that would be the job of the investigation branch, to sort out, and solve... not the initial response to a request for help....