cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home insurance

Fixes: 125

Home insurance

Car and home insurance due the same week - ho hum  Cheesy
It seems now that most insurers have a compulsory excess of at least £100 with very few at £50 and none (that I could find) offering £0. Quite a change from a couple of years ago.
I would have thought that there would be many people in the same boat as me that have many items up to £100 that need to be insured but making a claim would be worthless as the excess would near enough equal the value of any claim? In today's financial climate finding the money to replace items even up to £100 is not easy.
So is this just another way for the insurers to make more out of us?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Home insurance

I am sure they must have a full time committee who do nothing other than look at all the ways they can get the maximum amount of money out of the customer whilst giving the minimum return.
My Daughter had a few of her roof slates come loose due to high winds and when putting in a claim got a letter saying they could not meet the claim as the roof had not received regular maintenance ! She wrote back asking for details about what they meant by regular maintenance and threatened to take the matter to the ombudsman......... The insurance company paid up !!
Very important to read every word in any policy document to see what is excluded or exceptions, not easy as the writing is so small, full of jargon, and goes on for pages and pages with loads of cross references.   
In short they will do their best to get out of meeting any claims on house insurance, car insurance is just the opposite as they seem happy to pay out on the most trivial of claims !!     

Bit annoying is the fact I go to the websites from mearkat for all those that list a £50 excess and they all change to £100 or above.
One even had an excess of £250 for personal possessions! No point taking out insurance unless you have spare funds and lots of expensive items to cover.
Of course, you need insurance in case of fire or a vehicle crashing through and destroying everything.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Met another problem in that last year I found out our house is grade two listed.
It didn't seem to make much difference at renewal last November but quite a few problems this year with many site refusing to give me a quote instead giving me a number to ring.
My AA renewal notice was for just over £220. Haggled them down to £120.18 - result Smiley

Community Veteran

I think insurers were receiving large numbers of small value claims and by putting up the excess these were cut out.  Large numbers of small claims  could have a negative effect on premiums.
Last week I renewed my car insurance and have an excess of £150. It is the lowest excess available from Aviva.

I've always gone for a higher excess on car insurance (around £400 - £500 combined compulsory/voluntary excesses) on the basis that if I need to make a claim it's most likely to be recouped from the third party.
Of course, if I skid on ice I could end up the proverbial gum tree or even a lamppost.