cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home insurance.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Home insurance.

We all know that insurance companies will try every trick in the book to find a reason not to pay if a claim is made so it's worth remembering to inform them of any changes that take place in your circumstances whether or not you think it relevant.
One company refused a House Insurance claim because their young son had got a criminal record for some minor offence and they had failed to inform the insurance company.
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Home insurance.

Didn't stop them gladly accepting the premium though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yay!.... my (previous/last) insurance company, refused to renew our insurance...... Why?  because we made over £1,500 in claims last year.... yet the cover is for over £100,000 and they have been collecting premiums for the past 4 years without any claims....
N.B.  once an insurance company has refused you, you may find it difficult to get a new one to give you cover, so you have to shop around.... one of the "standard" questions is "  Have you ever been refused insurance by any other company?".....
Eventually got fixed up via the AA ! !..... however..... a word of warning.... the AA appear to be AGENTS for the insurance company, and the AA are, in actual fact, acting as a "loan agent", judging by the paperwork.... as the premiums appear to be paid monthly, but it is actually a "monthly payment" on the loan for the FULL insurance premium.... this, of course, attracts an interest payment for the privelige for the loan....

Fixes: 104

very expensive to get home insurance with a criminal record and it normally asks you on the forms whether anyone in the house has a conviction, so not surprised about that.
Will Moderate For Thanks
geoffp0
Grafter

I tend to change insurance companies every year or so, don't like to give the same insurance company to much money and get nothing back from them.
I was with the AA last year for home and contents and yes they are only agents, had my car insurance with them as well and the AA gave me the insurances from:-
Car   -  A firm in Gibralter
Home  -  Liverpool ^ Victoria
Contents   -   Nationwide Building Society
This year I have gone to the "Dog" for my house insurance and got the contents free.
Ref. the previous post, I can't see why an insurance company refused to payout because the son had a record, he wasn't the policy holder so he would not have made any declaration.
Geoff Undecided
community
Grafter

Yes, but if the son is living at the address he is part of the cover involved......
Humidity 97% in Harwich..!  although I am not surprised really it was always raining when I sailed from there  Wink
geoffp0
Grafter

I can now see the problem regarding a son/daughter with a criminal record, but I wonder if in that case if the policy holder had declared that there was a person with a "record" living there or wether the insurance company trawled the police computer?
Were you a regular sailor out of Harwich. Smiley
Geoff
jmd
Grafter

If you are over 50 - Age Concern/Age UK is excellent for insurance.
geoffp0
Grafter

Thanks for that, did not they did anything like that, being over 70 I have never been to their website, will have a look Cheesy
Geoff
Fixes: 47

Me too....thanks Josie. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I moved my building/contents and car to Aviva nearly 2 years ago.  I had a car accident which meant my car was a right off and they supplied me with a new car.  I had excellent service from throughout.
Fixes: 125

From memory (I used to work in motor claims) you will only get a new car if your insured car is less than two years old.
My parents used to always renew with Prudential till I noticed three years ago that they were paying around £450 for buildings and contents. A little shopping around and I got both for around £220.
This was with the AA who, if you pay the full amount up front, often work out to be the cheapest.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jmd
Grafter

I had a recent Household claim from Age UK/Age Concern and it was dealt with very carefully and politely.  Had a claims manager keeping in touch with me.  If folks remember it was to do with condensate pipe.  Now dealt with and the final touch was the decorator arriving with instructions to paint whole living room - but the problem was just were it had bubbled in a about 2 ft space in corner!  I did not need whole room doing so now have nearly full tin of paint to do bedroom!  Am pleased with service received.
I used to be with Saga but changed over when Saga wanted four times as much as they charge me for contents 5 years ago. I pay for buildings and contents less than £12  a month.
geoffp0
Grafter

I had my car insured with Saga once did not find them to be very cheap, now that Saga owns the AA I found that AA insurance side is not all that cheap either, like I said in a previous post AA are just brokers, they do not have their own insurance.
Geoff
Community Veteran

I have never found Saga to be competitive.  They always seem to be dearer than most other companies.