cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home heating options?

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Home heating options?

We are considering purchasing a house that does not have mains gas. There is no mains gas in the area,
so we are looking at alternative methods of heating.
Have any folk on here practical up to date experience of the costs
of other forms of heating?
There is oil central heating at the property, but I would like to know what other options
are available that will not cost excessive amounts for the two of us to be warm?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Home heating options?

well you really only have two options - oil or electric.
unless the house is in the bahamas when you could add solar power to the equation.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Stick with the oil for a while. With the world oil market fall I've just topped up my tank for £250. Should see us through the winter  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

There are other options like Calor Gas and like Oil the price is relative to the price of Crude. For Calor (which I have) the running costs obviously depend on how you live, insulation and the size of your house along with the efficiency of your boiler. I keep a spreadsheet of my gas use and take a meter reading every Sunday, and over the past two years my average daily running cost is £4.38.
With the system we have (GSM Modems on tanks) I don't even need to make a phone call to the Gas supplier the tanker simply turns up and fills the tanks.
For oil depending you your supplier you can now get 1000l of oil for about £400, (but 18 months ago you would only have got about 500l) which in theory should last about a quarter. You may also want to look at ground source heating as well but the cost of drilling can kill that option.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you have a good local supply of firewood, a modern woodburner can be very effective.
LPG (Calor) can be a good option if there's a possibility of getting mains gas in the future since most appliances can be converted between LPG and natural gas.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cheap central heating......
A woodburning stove..................................  In the middle of the room  !    Cheesy
Just thought I " wood "      "lighten" the thread a little ! ..
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

wood or coal in a small combination water heater unit, you can spend a bit extra and have the oil incorporated into it so you have a wood/coal fire or an oil fire through the single appliance giving yourself the best of both worlds, then as an emergency you can have a couple of digital ceramic warm air heaters (bionaire do several models for instance)
personally I would invest in a proper burner like the wood warm combination oil burner and grab an electric as well then your always going ot have heat as required or the option to heat and of course not being tied ot a single fuel source (oil) means you can switch to whichever is cheapest month to month .
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1