cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network IP addresses

Fixes: 123

Home Network IP addresses

I've put this under Chit Chat as it's not really a request for technichal support more asking for opinions. But if a mod feels it's better suited eslewhere then please feel free to move it Smiley
Upto now I have always explicitly set IP addresses for each peripheral (TV, Printer, phone, etc) connected to my home network. It's been so long that I've done it this way that I forget all the reasons why. I think, partly, because I have always liked to feel I have more control over my setup. It did mean that I always knew that the printer was, say, 192.168.1.7 and the TV 192.168.1.5 etc. The downside was that if the TV or printer, for example, were off and I allowed someone to access my network through their mobile (my daughter, perhaps), then frequently when I turned the printer or TV on again I get an IP confict message.
My question is are there really any major benefits from explicitly setting IP addresses or, as I am setting up afresh, should I simply let everything get their IP addreses dynamically?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Home Network IP addresses

Hey Mav
Fancy meeting you here Wink  I have mine set to get dynamically, You could do this too and If you run Into any problems then do It your other way.
itsme
Grafter

When specifying static addresses these should be out of the DHCP range. Typically most routers nowadays have the DHCP range xxx.xxx.xxx.64 to xxx.xxx.xxx.128 So specifying below 64 you will have no conflicts.
Personally I would leave it dynamic as most routers will also use a local DNS and place the name of connected devices into this table. So no need to remember IP addresses.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Steve
Hey Mav
Fancy meeting you here Wink 

You don't get rid of me that easy  Grin
@both Steve M and itsme
Thanks for your replies. If I understand correctly if i find the range of IP addresses the router will give out dynamically and set my PC's, TV, printer, etc to IPs outside that range but avoiding the gateway address, 0 and 255 then all should be OK?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Below is the default settings for my router. You can see the gateway is outside this range and can't be used and I'm not sure about 0 but as there is more than enough going 63 to 1 it's not a problem.
Router/Gateway Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Private Network DHCP Info:
Range: 192.168.1.64 – 192.168.1.253
Allocated 13
Remaining 177
Timeout 1440 minutes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Like everyone else here, I use both dynamic and static IPs. My router is setup to hand out dynamic IPs from .100 upwards. Anything below 100 is static IP territory.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It just depends what you want to do. If you want something to always have a fixed address, like a printer, use a static address outside of the DHCP range, otherwise just let your devices use the dynamic range.
Sometimes you might want traffic from external sources to be specifically addressed to one device, such as a web server. It helps to have a static address in those cases.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I only use DHCP on a netgear router, have everything is dynamic (except the person driving the keyboard).