Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home / Interior design / planning

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Home / Interior design / planning

Hey guys
I suspect I'll get shot down in flames for not posting this in the software forum but hey ho lol
Righty, I need to plan something out for a future project. Basically I need to plan floor space out to see what i could put where, how much space would be left, can i squeeze this or that in etc. If it's easy to use and can do entire rooms / floorspace in 3D all the better but I'm not too worried about that - floor space planning is a must (tight space, lots to fit in).
Budget is £0 for software  Roll eyes Any recommendations?!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Home / Interior design / planning

A mate of mine always swears by Google sketchup
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ikea's kitchen planner is surprisingly flexible (and easy to use): http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/gb/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This one was recommended by my pc magazine [I think it was] some time ago - I did download it and played and it was fairly straight forward.
http://www.sweethome3d.com/
nanotm
Pro

the GSP collection available from softpedia might fit the bill its got all kinds of designer stuff available
personally I'd just sketch it in different layouts and go with the one that offers the best access to things
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

for a "quick and dirty" solution use the grid in your spreadsheet program, with the grid set to squares (of say either 5 or 10cm), then block the squares with different colours.
kmilburn
Grafter

I'll second Sketchup (BTW, it's no longer owned by google)..
It takes a bit of learning, but it's relavtively easy to produce good results.  One tip would be to make components out of various shapes (the room, cabinets, etc.) so they can be moved easily.
I redesigned my bathroom, kitchen, a couple of bedrooms and back garden using it.
I've more recently used it to design an enclosure for some electronics, that's was 3D printed by a colleague.