Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Insurance - what a rip off!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Home Insurance - what a rip off!

Just got my renewal for my home insurance, £306.60  Lips are sealed Cry Huh
Did a quick check of the on-line sites and guess what a quote of £113.40 FROM THE SAME SUPPLIER  Crazy
So I will be phoning them tonight (when I get free 0845 calls  Wink) and telling them I will NOT be renewing, I will be taking it out on-line AGAIN for a nearly 66% discount
This happened last year with my pet insurance, checked on-line and it was £30 cheaper, so they matched it  Crazy
Do they just think that these days people take the FIRST quote?
rant over  Cheesy
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Home Insurance - what a rip off!

Been doing this for my car insurance for the last 6 or 7 years.
One time, after declining a renewal, I even had my insurer ring me and then, on the phone, beat their own on-line quote  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yes I always do a price comparison both via check sites and via standard sites, just to see who is the cheapest, but I still can't believe the 66% difference, it is normally 10-20%
Fixes: 47

Thanks for the heads-up biker955. Next time mine's due I'll remember that...hopefully Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I don't bother with contents insurance.
Haven't for many years - nearly always someone at home.
I live halfway up a hill - so no flooding is likely.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

A well there is a sucker born every day, House insurance cover a lot more than flooding, got a replacement Laptop that got accidentally damaged out in the car

I have mine with Halifax for personal reasons, and always get that reduced by from the in shop quote, and that is by the advisor in the shop phoning up for the new quote
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: taxiesofevil
I live halfway up a hill - so no flooding is likely.

That's what we said 30-Dec-2007, and woke up at 4am on the 31st to find four inches of water throughout the downstairs of our house - the rising main had detached itself from the stopcock whilst we were asleep.
Fortunately we weren't daft enough to try and do without insurance - and we got our home restored and possessions replaced.
I hope it never happens to you, but then we were certain it wouldn't happen to us either.
Community Veteran

Same experience for me too.  I'm with Zurich for buildings, contents and car.  I checked one of the online trawling sites and came up with much cheaper cover than I was paying, and guess what - it was from Zurich.  I phoned them and they said they were a separate division.  I decided to stay with them at the reduced rates because I have always had good service from them.
The home insurance side was actually slightly better cover.  The original policy would only let me leave my house unattended for 30 days without informing them  but the new one gave me 60 days which I wanted without needing to contact them.   
community
Grafter

Ah,..Insurance... has been my saviour several times throughout my many years.
I take out  insurance for most everything and it has saved me many pounds.
I got my insurance belief from my parents...but I do remeber my mum once complaining that they had paid for Fire Insurance without ever having needed it!