cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Insulation

N/A

Home Insulation

Probably a lot of us already have our homes insulated as it is free for certain categories of people.  However, have just found out that British Gas are offering free insulation if you are using their dual fuel tariff.  Their engineer mentioned it to me yesterday (it was the first day of the offer).  Nothing was said about qualifying benefits, just the DFT.  
Just mentioning it in case it is of any use to anyone.  Also it is very early on in the promotion so might be easier to get.  Called them yesterday to get my niece's property done and had to sign up HERE.
14 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Home Insulation

Thank's for that. My loft is small and I didn't think it worth paying to have the insulation topped up. But if it's "free"...  (OK I know that I  and other BG customers are paying a levy through our bills)
N/A

Yes, extra depth of insulation really makes a difference. We had ours topped up last year and noticed the difference immediately.
nadger
Rising Star

Whilst on subject of British Gas they've now started to give Nectar points.
Not something I've bothered with before, as don't shop at Sainsburys, but signed up just in case as one is obviously paying for them.
Fixes: 47

Sheffield Council are currently offering free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. They are doing it area by area and it's available to anyone.
I have my name down for cavity wall insulation. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Good idea, Strat. This house had already been done when we bought it in 1985 so we've benefited from it for years.
Fixes: 47

I passed on the loft insulation as it already has quite a covering....I think as there is so much stuff up there Embarrassed
They even offer a loft clearing service for those requiring loft insulation but...well...I'll clear it myself when time permits. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Nadger - the British Gas employee to whom I spoke yesterday tried to get me to sign up to Nectar but don't know much about it.  In any case, the fuel bill isn't mine.  However, I will pass the information on to my niece as it might save her a few bob.
Strat - if you are anything like me, you are going to have to 'gird your loins' so to speak and take a deep breath before venturing into the loft to clear it out so it is good to know that Sheffield City Council will help with clearing yours.
I had to do mine before the new insulation was put down and it was dreadful.  Embarrassed  As I live in a bungalow and have those very nice wooden ladder things I got all the stuff down (took me all day one Sunday) but then it was the sorting out.  Put it all in in the conservatory and some of it was still there a month later!  Hope that yours is not as bad as mine was.  On the plus side, it has remained empty aside from a couple of cardboard boxes.
We made the mistake of getting someone in to bag up the old stuff because it was grotty. Unfortunately we then had to have a skip to take it away because we could not use the local tip. Should have done the same as we did at my niece's property which was to lay the new stuff on top of the old. The extra depth has made an awful lot of difference there too.
nadger
Rising Star

I received an email from British Gas about getting Nectar points.
Possibly this will help https://www.britishgas.co.uk/thankyou2
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you live how high up in that tower block?, and you want your cavity filled?  who do you think we are?  http://insulationblog.com/2010/05/12/abseiling-cavity-wall-insulation-initiative-launched-in-london/
Ellis
Grafter

Owing to the nature of our bungalow we cannot improve the insulation already in place, so I had to think of another route to economise. We had central heating by propane gas which was costing over £1500 per annum. I decided to remove the propane gas equipment and go all electric. I got £70 for the scrap and the boiler was about to fail completely (30 years old) and fell to pieces when taken out. So I saved the price of a new boiler. I got an electrician in to add a new consumer unit and two new circuits to the existing installation, the cost was £500 including connecting the cooker and instant hot water unit which I bought myself. The cooker was approx. £200  and the IWH unit £140. I then equipped all rooms with either convection heaters or oil filled radiators. I already had some thermostatic fan heaters for rapid heating of rooms. The total cost was around £1200 (I doubt if replacing a boiler would have cost any less).
Since changing over my total bill for electricity has been less than £1000 per annum. A nice touch was that my supplier reduced the cost per unit this year by 2p.
N/A

That does surprise me. I always thought that it would be very expensive to run an all-electric property.  Your one bill pa is less than ours for both gas and electricity.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

So much for that! "For loft insulation the Offer only applies where the thickness of existing insulation is less than 60mm."
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/terms-conditions-free-insulation.html
My existing insulation fills the gaps between the joists and so is about 100mm. Current recommendation is, I believe, 270mm.
N/A

Oh what a shame - as per usual I did not read that bit.  Mind you, I was only looking at cavity wall insulation as the loft is already done.
Maybe get someone to flatten the old stuff down a bit?  Roll eyes
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Money Saving Expert article.
www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2011/02/free-insultation-for-british-gas-customers
Who would want to buy their energy from a company offering free insultation! (sic)?