cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holidays

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Holidays

Is it wise to book any holidays at this time and in particular holidays abroad.

Those going to Spain will need to self isolate on return which may have implications for those who wish to work following the holiday.

There can be no guarantee that other countries may be added to the list at short notice, why do people take the risk?

We have no intention of going anywhere, not even in this country.

30 REPLIES 30
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Holidays

I've not been on a holiday in 20+ years, and I'm not about to start now with them, mostly cos I can't justify the cost as it is, never mind the health impact it could have...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

As stated we are not going anywhere but........

since retiring I have been on one continuous holiday

😉

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I wish I could consider my life to be one long holiday, but, they're meant to be fun and relaxing!!! 🤣

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

@gleneagles  got a nice cottage booked for two weeks over Christmas and the New Year, down in Devon...  looking forward to it...

if you don`t see any posts from me,  after the new year.......

No flowers... just make a donation to the R.N.L.I..      thanks .   

Seasoned Pro

I don't think it is wise @gleneagles but that is only my view.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

It's a difficult one @gleneagles 

I like travelling.

My dad used to arrange it and say "It is your day today, what do you want to do?". So 1992 we had a holiday in Looe Cornwall. I said "I want to go to Lands End". Done. 1993 was the Isle Of Wight, and I decided Horse Riding what was OK. 1994 was Scotland so I said "John O'Groats".

Australia and Sydney were my favourite. Orlando in Florida was good, but the runner up for me.

Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Supposed to be going to Amsterdam for the weekend in October, booked long before covid reared its head. A group of 8 of us,not sure how many of us will go, even if allowed. Biggest problem will be placating people not wanting to go, as the booking is in my name and it'll be me that has to negotiate with EasyJet! Should have already been and come back from Spain. Before the bridge, a return flight to Almeria was £70pp return. The day the bridge was introduced, the price increased to £350pp one way. We didn't go!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Must admit we had decided to have a holiday this year for the first time in our 15 year relationship - a real proper one, not just going back to her country for family reasons. Then covid came along and ... well.. it's a pipe dream now ain't it.

To be honest though i don't particularly like going away, especially to foreign places. I find airports stressful, leaving early so you can be there 3 hours in advance a pain in the grass and then the hassle at the other end - all so you can completely write off an entire day. Screw that. I just don't like it.

Add to that the small little issue that whenever i have been abroad it's always been a disaster for various reasons.. arguments over money, where to go, what to see etc.. 

I just don't like it. I've been put off for life pretty much.

@twocvbloke wrote:

I wish I could consider my life to be one long holiday, but, they're meant to be fun and relaxing!!! 🤣

The two qualities i've never really experienced any time i've ben abroad anywhere. Without them it hardly seems worth it really does it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Marksfish wrote:

as the booking is in my name and it'll be me that has to negotiate with EasyJet! 

I know an air hostess who works for them, she's very worried about her future.

I think the tourism industry is pretty much on it's knees.

Personally it doesn't bother me, i think jetting off around the planet burning thousands of tons of fuel is no good for anyone however i appreciate that people do like to travel around but until covid clears off i don't see things improving.

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I was thinking about going at Christmas (Far East) but it's looking like it might be next year now with the resurgent of cases out there. The big dampers is the lack of cover for things like Covid, airlines going bust etc. Fortunately I tend to do the organising last month or so before departure, so minimising risk. No travel agents though. I just go online and do it all myself. Very easy. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

One place i would like to go to (of all places lol) is shenzen in china. It's where they've got all the latest and greatest tech, they have marketplaces full of tech etc.

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Same here not going anywhere and as said on the 'first holiday' topic, maybe not until next year.

There are so many rushing off it seems to go somewhere anywhere overseas, but why not just stay in the UK. I'd love to go back up to York, also down to see the Mary Rose in Portsmouth... but not to London as I've seen enough of that place to last me a lifetime.

Done loads on the canals in the past but they are out of my league now finanacially but perhaps if I can make it to York I'll check out the Llangollen canal on the way up from here in the south west of Wales as that's one section I have never been on.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Community Veteran

i went to york 22 (eek) years ago... national railway museum up there was brilliant

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

That's on my list plus the Viking place... which was closed last time.

Only been the once, and only so much you can do in the three days we were there.

Amazing city though. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.