Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday cancellation

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Holiday cancellation

Seems those who booked holidays and have been unable to take them due to the lock down are now finding companies are refusing to refund money and issue vouchers instead.

But many will have booked holidays using credit cards could these people not claim against the card company ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Holiday cancellation

Section 74. So long as the item/ service costs over £100 and under (I think) £30,000) and you pay even a small amount on a credit card, the card issuer is jointly liable. So yes, you should claim against the credit card. Unfortunately, as much as Martin Lewis may preach about using credit cards, people still ignore the advice and pay using other means, or even worse, use a credit card not knowing their rights.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

There doesn't seem to be any guarantee of a refund.  A woman on TV earlier had paid £700 deposit for a holiday costing some £8,000.  The expert said she would have to decide between not paying the balance and thereby losing her deposit, or paying the balance and risking not getting any of it back.  The problem seems to be that holiday companies are on the brink of bankruptcy and simply don't have the money to make the refunds, hence the offer of vouchers (which would be worthless should the company go under).  Paying by credit card is, as has been pointed out, a good idea.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,208

The law states they have to receive their money back from the tour operator / airline.
I understand why they would prefer that, but I would certainly be asking for my money back - BA & Ryanair have been in the press lately for making people jump through hoops to get their legally owed money.
Not sure where 74 would fall on this.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

If I wasn't getting anywhere with a company, I'd make the credit card company my next port of call - gives them a heads up. As mentioned, vouchers are fine if you can guarantee the company will still be around when you want to use it. In my mind though, you can't beat cash in the pocket, far better than a piece of paper. There is also usually some extra clauses attached to the use of vouchers.

I tend to use the credit card for everything - one bill at the end of the month and you do get that protection if over £100. Unfortunately, the money you pay seems to be used not for your holiday but to pay for someone who is on holiday already - bit like pensions!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
artmo
Community Veteran

Sorry, is it section 74 or 75?

In the event of the airline refusing to pay there is also your travel insurance to fall back on.

I had to cancel a trip I was due to take on 29th March. I cancelled my overnight hotel at Gatwick, Car Hire, 2 nights accommodation on arrival and my month's rental. All cancelled without hesitation and refunded me in full immediately.

The airline is dragging its heels telling me yesterday it could be at least 12 more weeks. I have told them if I am not refunded in 4 weeks I will take them to the small claims court.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 189

Its section 75.

I've used it twice.

Once when Tesco overcharged me for an online wine order. They agreed on the phone to refund, but never sent any email confirmation despite multiple calls. Eventually after a week I contacted the CC company who immediately refunded. I did tell them that i was sure tesco would eventually refund and sure enough they did after about 3 weeks. Phoned the cc and told them, asked what to do, they said if tesco request them to reverse the cc refund they wil but basically it was up to tesco to request it.They never did!

Second was when Monarch collapsed, cc paid for my flights back home and refund for a future booking, all pretty straighforward.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Certainly agree about the advice of using a credit card to pay for things, I thought the £100 minimum had been changed so providing you paid something by card the total cost of the item was covered ? We booked a couple of tickets at Preston Guild Hall but the firm went bankrupt and we got our money back from the cc company with no problem.

The current circumstances are unusual, could the credit card company not argue that if you are offered vouchers then you will still be getting your holiday so refuse to refund your money ? If you accept vouchers and the company goes bankrupt then of course they would have to refund your money.

CC companies might find themselves in similar circumstances to other companies with limited funds to pay for all the claims made

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

I thought the £100 minimum had been changed so providing you paid something by card the total cost of the item was covered ?

The item/ service must cost over £100. So long as you pay even 1p on the credit card, the whole amount of the purchase price is covered.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@artmo wrote:

Sorry, is it section 74 or 75?

My mistake, section 75: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act