cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hobbies

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hobbies

Other than computing what other hobbies or interests do you have ?
I spend a fair amount of time Fell walking in the Lake District along with my other hobby, photography.
51 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Hobbies

Walking, gardening and photography and here is one I took this morning from my rear garden
Denzil
Grafter

I sometimes think I do too much.
Archery (target and field), an obscure martial art called Mayo Shin Do, my old Land Rover, and Japanese-style gardening, amongst other things. I used to love long walks and backpacking in the hills. I still do a bit, but I'm still building up my strength from being ill a few years back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nothing really. I've spent years letting people destroy my social life to the point where its non existent and I'm now somewhat of a recluse. So.. I turned to the internet for entertainment..
I have a couple of websites which I am developing on a as-and-when basis but thats about it. No other hobbies - they all cost money and thats something the gods seem to be determined to make me have a drastic shortage of.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bowls, astronomy, photography, voracious reader, long-distance footpath walking was a great love, but can't do it anymore due to arthritis knees, playing guitar -badly these days-, quite a good cook -needs must these days-, light gardening.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

No other hobbies - they all cost money

A good point indeed.  How many of us have the detritus of abandoned hobbies sitting around our homes?  I'm as guilty as anyone and try to make efforts to move it all on when the hobby fails to enthuse me anymore.
No prizes for guessing my one and only enduring hobby (or perhaps passion) of many years:
thisoldman
Grafter

simple hobbies or rather pastimes........walking ,  home cooking      odd bit of decorating  ,  reading extensively  and  my tt work
im also on various ehrc  committees and advise the rnid on a few matters
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Excuse my ignorance but what is tt work and ehrc committees ?
thisoldman
Grafter

ia am a member of a small private think tank. the ehrc is the equality and human right commission
magnetism2772
Grafter

hobbies
shopping
spending money on nice thing that  i want
everything to do with cars
photography
antiques and art collecting (a little bit of a magpie)
Home DIY
reading books and I enjoy history
short walks
surfing the internet

thisoldman
Grafter

thats great giro i do hope to se e you on antiques roadshow some day
magnetism2772
Grafter

thanks oldman
i do have some rare  English stamps to take on the Dickerson deals  tv slot
if their ever interested
thisoldman
Grafter

giro dont deal with that lunatic  stick to ant roadshow
thisoldman
Grafter

i am sorry there is neither the time nor space here to post all the medical evidence from the journal of neurology,,,,,,,but it has repeatedly been stresed that no matter whether you take up knitting or crosswords it is absolutely essential to have  some kind of hobby to stop you brain rotting away.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

From Pocket GPS World,  re dumbing down the brain, some people say anything
GPS users have an increased risk of memory loss and spatial orientation problems claims new report.
Researchers conducted a number of studies and the findings suggest that a reliance on GPS for navigation can lead to damage to a region of the brain responsible for memory and spatial orientation.
The actual research is complex and the results may in fact show that the cause is a lack of exercise of the region responsible for spatial awareness rather than the direct fault of GPS.
Whilst it can be invaluable in helping us find our way, it does mean we have less awareness of our surroundings and the routes we have taken.
The researchers advise not placing too much reliance on the tech and that we should take the time to assess our surroundings and update our built-in spatial 'map' to prevent problems.