cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmm , telescope to the blind eye?? - Class A drugs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hmmm , telescope to the blind eye?? - Class A drugs

Going to make it easier to achieve targets...or am I just a sceptic?
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24320717
Still, will free resources to target more of those hardened criminals who don't tax their cars. Smiley
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Hmmm , telescope to the blind eye??

He does have some valid points in his argument, though.....
Apart from the similarity to the 1920`s usa prohibition laws.... go back even further, to the days of smugglers coves and brandy/tea/tobacco/molasses etc etc etc... and the customs men patrolling the clifftops and beaches.... once the laws had been changed to allow "proper" imports and duties to be paid.... the smugglers went out of business, and became "lawful fishermen"... !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never touched drugs but I've known plenty of people who've smoked a 'joint' or taken pills etc. I suspect a few characters I've met have taken heroine too. Anyway while I've always kept clear I do partly agree that they should be legalised. I once fell victim toa drug fuelled crime (burglary) and I found out the guy who did it was a druggie who then upgraded to dealer. If it were legalised and taxed and licenced, it would put the unlawful dealers out of business pretty quickly.
Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with the use of drugs however I also don't agree with smoking but I'm realistic that peoples habits and pleasures can't be changed and by legalising it, the druggies who use all sorts of dangerous chemicals etc will be put out of business. In that respect I would like to see them all legalised.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Whilst I agree that the law should be changed or at least radically reviewed what does concern me is that a person who is charged with upholding the law wants to change it!  This is a decision for politicians and the public, and to let the police dictate the policy is ,in my opinion, one serious step towards a police state.
Community Veteran

"drugs" covers everything from the aspirin/paracetamol taken for headache, to the latest effective medicines to treat cancer, diabetes, crohn's disease and a multitude of others.  alcohol is a drug too and look at the mess that cause while freely available at any time.
it's like talking about "chemicals" in foods, as though the whole organic world is made up of some other stuff.
legalise the lot and let the waves settle.
the alcohol lobby is vociferously against any let up because they predict it will eat into their profits.  they could take another look and start thinking about making cannabis beer.  apparently it's pleasantly potable.
except to keep suppliers honest, keep government out of the bedroom and larder and all other private personal places that don't impinge on others.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
it would put the unlawful dealers out of business pretty quickly

But would it?
A chemist wouldn't take a telly in exchange for drugs, or a young druggie girls favours either.
Things would separate even more between those that have money for a fix and those that haven't.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The idea is that the quality goes up and the price comes down (allowing for tax).

Community Veteran

Back to cynicism... It would give police the opportunity to do what the various governments did with unemployment - manipulate the figures.  You know what I mean .."Unemployment is down!" ....actually means. "We have put people on pointless 'training schemes', made it easier for employers to employ people on zer-hour contracts(thus staff turnover is fast - no recourse through industrial tribunal, you've not been employed long enough) so the 'qualifying period' excludes these people from the statistics...and now people can be removed from the ranks of the unemployed for not applying for enough jobs, like a girl I know who was 39weeks pregnant.  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: billnotben

But would it?
A chemist wouldn't take a telly in exchange for drugs, or a young druggie girls favours either.
Things would separate even more between those that have money for a fix and those that haven't.

For a while, the supply chain would remain bouyant, and stable,..... it would only become effective after ( say ) a year or maybe two, when the users begin to realise they can go to their GP and say,... I`m an addict, can you give me a prescription for XXX.    which means they don`t have to spend their dole money on drugs , or go shoplifting/mugging/burglary/car crime/ etc etc to raise enough for the next fix...
Yes, they probably would still have to spend "some" of their dole money on presctiption drugs, but it "should" be a lot less than "illegal" supplies.... and they would also know the stuff was " good stuff"...
once that starts to circulate around the dealers customers, then they will drift away, reducing the dealers customer base.... also reducing the "petty crime" that is fuelled by the drug scene....
The only problem I can see with that, is there needs to be some form of "monitoring" to make sure the addicts actually take the prescription, and not start "dealing" them to get illegal drugs which would become either more expensive... ( druggy dealer losing money....needs to keep his profits up )... or cheaper, to retain customer base....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben

But would it?

I personally though drug dealers had enough to worry about just keeping their little supply hidden from the fuzz but now you're telling me they also wheel and deal stolen goods too? - I thought it was the addicts that sold them to raise the cash to pay Mr Dealer?.. perhaps my times dealing with and knowing these sorts of people (and having them as neighbours for a short while) is completely misunderstood?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I've never heard of dealers taking goods in exchange for drugs. They want hard cash and it's up to the customer to come up with that by fair means or foul.
I personally think the proposal is a good one....and incidentally Mike Barton doesn't want to change the law (he doesn't have the powers) but is suggesting the government put in place the necessary procedures to change the law.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Class A Drugs

Not for the first time has a Chief Constable made the proposal that addicts should be given legal access to drugs via the NHS.
The thinking behind this is that no country, no matter how severe the laws including the death penalty are preventing or even reducing the spread of drugs. By allowing access to drugs for those who are addicted would see a drop in the levels of crime associated with drug abuse.
The way forward would be to treat rather than prosecute addicts.
Is this the way forward or is it just simplistic thinking ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Hmmm , telescope to the blind eye?? - Class A drugs

Topics merged and title changed to make the subject a bit more obvious
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thank you Oldjim Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I've never heard of dealers taking goods in exchange for drugs. They want hard cash and it's up to the customer to come up with that by fair means or foul.

Quote from Crime and Justice Survey.
Thieves know they can get more drugs if they buy with cash, having first sold their stolen booty, rather than taking the hot goods to their drug dealer where the exchange rate is at best poor

now you're telling me they also wheel and deal stolen goods too? - I thought it was the addicts that sold them to raise the cash to pay Mr Dealer?.. perhaps my times dealing with and knowing these sorts of people (and having them as neighbours for a short while) is completely misunderstood?

Yes.
It comes down to a choice how desperately quick they want a fix.
Quote from: shutter
which means they don`t have to spend their dole money on drugs , or go shoplifting/mugging/burglary/car crime/ etc etc to raise enough for the next fix...

Another quote from Crime and Justice Survey. What makes you think that this would have any more effect on crime rates than drug treatment programs?
Even though more and more criminally active substance misusers enter and remain in treatment programmes and are reported to reduce their drug intake, there is rarely a corresponding reduction in local crime rates.