Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hive or Nest

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hive or Nest

Anyone with any experience of these heating controllers? I have been considering them for a while and I like the price of the Hive and the learning facility of the Nest. I am hoping add ons will become available for TRV's in the future. I am hoping to back the right one as I foresee a bit of a VHS/ Betamax situation arising. Nest are offering £219 inc installation, Best is £165, so not a great deal in it.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Hive or Nest

Hmm... interesting,,.... since you are "penny pinching" on your utilities... that you should want to invest in this technology ! ! !...Roll eyes

Assuming you switch your heating off when you are at work.... What is the point of being able to switch it on from your works, so it is nice and warm when you get home ? ? ?     surely the thermostat or the timing device will do that, without your "hive" or "nest" system  ? ? ?  Cheesy

Fixes: 343

I guess there's a question of who do you want to give your data to?

If you're already fully in the Google / Android ecosystem then nest might be a good option.
Centrica / British Gas owns Hive, so if you have your utilities through them you might get a better deal.

Here seems a thorough-ish review https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/nest-vs-hive-2993071

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

@shutter wrote:

Hmm... interesting,,.... since you are "penny pinching" on your utilities... that you should want to invest in this technology ! ! !...Roll eyes

Yes, penny pinching, but do also like my gadgets Smiley Unfortunately, my family are not quite so penny pinching, so being able to make sure the thermostat is turned down is a good idea for me. I also leave home a lot earlier than my Wife, when she is not working from home. It is difficult to set up a routine in a traditional programmer so that the heating comes on for a bit at 4am for 1/2 hour, then goes off until switching on again at 7am, before going off again at 8.30am, when she goes to work. the geolocation means that it won't turn the heating off on days she is working from home.

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

@dvorak wrote:
I guess there's a question of who do you want to give your data to?

That is always the issue unfortunately, someone is always after all sorts from consumers. I don't do the Google/ amazon thing, but unfortunately my Wife does and I can't get it into her about what is being collected every time she uses them.

LifeonMars
Pro
Fixes: 4

I use the Nest 3rd generation with stand , only because I think it is a nicer looking Thermostat than the Hive .  I have the learning schedule and true radiant set to off.

You do need to be able to plug the nest thermostat into a power socket. I managed this by using the supplied Power plug with the supplied USB cable connector with another usb extension cable to place the thermostat were i wanted in my living room.

Been very happy with it.

The Nest I think works with most boilers but not all , like the Hive

The best thing about using it is being able to switch the heating/water on from anywhere using the app on my phone. Magic especially when returning from Holiday or a night out on the town.

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

I'm thinking that having to plug the thermostat in could be a problem due to where my current thermostat is located, which is battery operated.

Mark

Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

I wouldn’t touch Hive or its ilk with a barge pole even if I had one. Yes it all sounds very smart but in reality to do it ‘right’ I doubt you’d see change out of 2K by the time you'd kitted the whole house out. If all you are buying is a Hive thermostat then as mentioned by @shutter your existing thermostat and timer will take care of this.

@Marksfish or indeed anyone considering this I would suggest, with all due respect, that you do some research into these products before you put your hand in your pocket, do you know what happens if your internet or network fails for example. How much fuel is used to get a room back up to temperature based on leaving your heating on auto?

Also, based on the prices you have quoted you may well be into two years+ before you get a return on your investment, and that assumes you actually make any active savings.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Mook

Yes very good advice.

I purchased a nest thermostat based on the many positive reviews and in theory it sounds good but with hindsight would I have bothered investing in one......NO.

Home and away is great, switch your heating on and off and control the tempature from anywhere in the world providing you have the free app and a internet connection, most physical timers can only be set for 1 week in advance so that one main advantage of the nest.

What is no so good is that items using the same frequency of the nest can cause problems between the thermostat and heat link near the boiler, there is a manual switch so your boiler will work but if there is no tempature control on the boiler it will remain on.

There are a number of menu's on the thermostat and plenty of youtube videos showing how to set it but I find it tempremental

If you purchase one make sure whoever fits it knows what they are doing, after a new boiler was installed the plumber seemed confused about the wiring so got an electrician in, he spent ages fiddling with the wiring and to be honest I am no sure it's correct even now so the problems I am having now could either be a fault with the nest or caused by incorrect wiring.

At the time of writing the thermostat is set to 21 c the actual tempature is 24 c and the radiators are still on.....the wife loves it but guess who pays the bills, so no I don't recommend anyone to buy one.

The software gets updated automatically and this has lead to some users having problems where none existed before.

I had thought of getting someone who is a recommended nest installer but there is only one such person in this area and he tells me he is too busy to take on more work.

Expensive lesson, should have known better at my age.

Smiley

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

Some interesting comments there, thank you Thumbs Up. the Nest is currently being sold with free installation, so hopefully a supplied "pro" should know what they are doing.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mook wrote:

I wouldn’t touch Hive or its ilk with a barge pole even if I had one. Yes it all sounds very smart but in reality to do it ‘right’ I doubt you’d see change out of 2K by the time you'd kitted the whole house out. If all you are buying is a Hive thermostat then as mentioned by @shutter your existing thermostat and timer will take care of this.

@Marksfish or indeed anyone considering this I would suggest, with all due respect, that you do some research into these products before you put your hand in your pocket, do you know what happens if your internet or network fails for example. How much fuel is used to get a room back up to temperature based on leaving your heating on auto?

Also, based on the prices you have quoted you may well be into two years+ before you get a return on your investment, and that assumes you actually make any active savings.

We have a Viessmann system which runs most of the time at a very low temperature, which is controlled by the external air temperature. Once the house is heat-soaked, the boiler can run at about 35C or less all day and keeps the house very comfy, and at that boiler temp it condenses like the clappers, which makes for high efficiency. Letting the house go cold and then heating it is inefficient. Our fuel bill went down by about 35% after we had this system installed compared with previous.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

@Marksfish, if you are going to go ahead with this then I hope it goes well for you, you came here asking for advice so here's some more from me.

You should to check to see if the installer needs to be Gas Safe Registered in order to install this device as it’s attached directly to the boiler. If possible try to find out in advance who the installer is so you can check them out and verify it, If Gas Safe registration is not needed, which I doubt, then at least check their professional reputation. Just because they own an insulated screwdriver does not make them competent.

Updated based on @dvorak's correction below.

Fixes: 343

Think it’s gas safe these days Wink

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'