cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

History of the telephone system

Community Veteran

History of the telephone system

Started over on http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77219.new.html#new
"On 22 March 1892 in the House of Commons the Postmaster-General, Sir James Fergusson, opposed Bills presented by the National Telephone Company and the New Telephone Company which sought extensive new powers. He then announced the Government's proposal to purchase the trunk lines of the National Telephone Company, the operations of which would henceforth be confined to local areas under new licences."
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/bpo.htm
10 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: History of the telephone system

Thought we were referring to the local loop and not truck lines and today I would be very surprised if any trunk line is copper.
Community Veteran

didn't the local loop and manual exchanges in villages appear before the trunk lines ?
no point having trunk lines without the local loop of subscribers ?
Community Veteran

Here is a interesting site I've not seen before
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/
itsme
Grafter

Cable technology today and what has been used on  the majorty of the local loop is completely different to what was used in the early part of the 20th century. The reason that I said that you were being harsh calling the BT network 19th century is this belittle the work that have been done by engineers to improve cable technology hence why I said it's more mid 20th century. But thinking about it it should be slighty later as in the 50's I believe they were still using cloth insulated cable.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Here is a interesting site I've not seen before
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/

It's a site I'm aware of as I have linked replies to other threads to specific pages.
Community Veteran

OK - it was a quick give away remark - sorry.
But I don't remember my grandparents house telephone wiring ever being changed - the house was built in 1920's and they had the phone in almost from then. When I started my apprenticeship I remember vividly talking to my grandfather about their phone and it said it hadn't been touched apart from having a new 162 and then 312 phone put in.

The wiring in the house was never touched.
I have  friends in Edinburgh - living in a flat in a Victorian house and the wiring is very very old.
[ edit } after all the 600 ohm audio pair is definitely 19th century technology -
This is what I mean when I say we are using very very old wiring in old houses for high speed data transmission.
We should have started a programme of installing a fibre to each house some time ago - to cater for TV, high speed internet etc etc.
And in this time of higher unemployment etc - what better national infrastructure project to help stimulate the economy.

itsme
Grafter

Cables in the 20's to 50's would more than likely be insulated with rubber and probably would have broken down within a couple of decades. Even modern PVC insulated cables the insulation would break down if exposed to the sun after 40 to 50 years.
We already have fibre in the street supplied by Virgen Media and I believe BT wanted to installed fibre before  this but Oftel said no to allow Cable to break up BT monoply.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

In the early 80s BT had plans to provide coax cable to every property, but the government had other ideas - ie privatisation.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Given the governments history at managing IT projects - maybe as well it is done at arms length from them.
The government seems to be very poorly advised on many technologies. And it's not they don't have the staff - I've worked with some very good engineers working for the Home office, and a few duff ones it has to be said.
Community Veteran

Yes degrading cables ! - remember the Clapham rail crash, although not necessarily degrading cables - the accident happened becuase of one wire left loose - touched an adjacent circuit - and giving a driver a green light.
I've heard on good authority - the wiring of the signalling center was rather old and when they started tyding up found lots of wires with degrading insulation.
I've first hand knowledge of a similar problem in a major UK port - out of about 100 pairs of circuits - we could only use about 60% .
They wouldn't pull a replacement cable .