cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hinckley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hinckley

There has been considerable reporting on the proposed Hinckley power station which is now on hold but with all the information published so far is there any single reason why we should go ahead with it.

Personally I hope TM scraps it and prevents any other country having any type of control over any nuclear power stations

38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Hinckley

This government has IMHO no energy policy whatsoever. We need some Base load generation to balance up intermittent renewables. But Hinkley was a very bad deal made worse by the international fall in energy costs. I think CCGT using gas would have good build times and match expected future international electricity costs
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Problem is Ok we know nuclear energy is not Ideal , But fossil fuel is eventually going to run out , so what do we do ?Huh

Wind / Tidal / solar ? Never going to produce enough energy for UK needs .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Prisoner Pedal Power, utilise the biggest energy resource we have, a whole loads of freeloaders in the nation's state-funded hotels... Grin

Community Veteran

@rongtw I think nuclear is the way to go but not with the Chinese. Australia has banned them from even tendering for any of their nuclear business. Also  Britain’s Chinese partner in the project, CGN, has been accused in the US of trying to steal nuclear research secrets.

Chinese Involvement

Community Veteran

Chinese products I've bought online have often been pretty poorly made, wouldn't trust them to build a nuclear reactor in this country, that and politically speaking they're not very trustworthy as a country either, can you imagine what control over the UK they'd gain if they built a power station that could be easily used by them as ransom against our people if we didn't comply with their demands? From simply shutting off the power to letting the thing go chernobyl on our soil, I don't trust them in the slightest...

Community Veteran

I have worked as an "Owners Engineer" with Chinese Contractors constructing power stations in Pakistan and Nigeria and there were serious problems. The biggest one was that they were supplying either equipment supplied under license from major international manufacturers with all sorts of legal inpediments or simply "Chinese copies" so the clients didn't get proper warranties or updated technology as new developments came along.
Also there was once a "golden share" in the contract for the British government so that we could be part of the specification and approval process but George Osborne didn't implement it because he was so keen to be partners with China!
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I dont know why the  government are scared to let UK build it themselves , ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Partly because of the cost but money is so cheap to borrow now it would be a good option.

@PeterLoftus in your view do we have the expertise to undertake the construction etc?

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

I dont know why the  government are scared to let UK build it themselves , ?

Labour issues, unions, protesters, NIMBYs, court cases, money, that sort of thing...

I still say we need to use prisoners for pedal power, cheaper (already paid for), sustainable (cos crime never sleeps), ecological (use old bikes that the prisoners have to rebuild into pedal generators), and is a deterrent (don't want to be a PPP? Don't commit crime then!)... Crazy

Community Veteran

@artmo I worked for GEC Alsthom on Sizewell B and the reactor vessel, steam generators and turbines were all manufactured in Britain but we haven't made such in years. We still have the project management design and procurement skills though!
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

We need a government with some bottle to take these groups on, have we got such a government now ?

Only time will tell but I am not hopeful.

The way forward is to sack some of these well paid people who would rather strike than work, you cannot compromise with some people as it's just seen as a sign of weakness.

Community Veteran

Nah, we'll never have a government that is strong enough to actually do the job it's meant to.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Offensive line removed.

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Prisoner Pedal Power, utilise the biggest energy resource we have, a whole loads of freeloaders in the nation's state-funded hotels... Grin

But not as big as some of the free loaders we see in the Lords, CEO's of companies that lose millions plus a number  of others that could be added to the list.

The main difference is one group is living in grubby hotels whilst the other group is living in luxury with the best of everything.

So the average person in the middle is getting shafted by both groups.

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

twocvbloke wrote:

Chinese products I've bought online have often been pretty poorly made, wouldn't trust them to build a nuclear reactor in this country.

Must be said the whole idea gives me the creeps.

Their quality control with most stuff is virtually non existent it appears and they're not always the most cooperative bunch either. As you know from my other thread I have a load leveller that is supposedly rated at 750kg. I couldn't find the right size screw thread so did some detective work... it only came from china didn't it. Now granted the chains do look well welded and there are 4 so the load is spread well but it still made me stop and think **it. Anuyway i sent the manufacturer a message and they refused to tell me the size.. i sent them another and they replied back with a rather arrogant reply along the lines of "don't want to help, don't want to sell to you". Charming.

I don't likle the chinese way of operating.. get it, copy it, sell it.. .without really understanding what it does, how it works or how to ensure it's safe. This is the nation that was selling contaminated baby formula to its own people a while back. They soon knew to turn to the UK for their supplies at that time so they clearly know they're bodging wrecklesslky.

I'm sorry but anything to do with nuclear tech should be a UK only project. We wouldn't let the chinese build our nuclear submarines so why on earth are we letting them get involved with our power supply? At least if we built them in house the money would be spent and recycled here in the UK supporting our own economy. Paying it to another nation is not doing us any favours

I'm afraid we've let china go too far with its manufacturing and supply industry now. All our phones and computer hardware are made out there.. the chinese like their espionage.. makes you wonder how much spyware is on your phone doesn't it. The USA won't let a single chinese microchip into any of its military technology and if we ever went to war with them all our electronic commiunications systems here in the UK and the USA (at least consumer stuff) would be offline within minutes.

Sorry for the typos, some crazy idiot let their dog bite my finger today while putting something through their letterbox.. nop cage behind it to catch post and protect people from the dog... nice big bandage on my finger now.. making it hard to type. Still hurts too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!