cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hinckley (again)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hinckley (again)

Whilst it has not been officially announced it appears the government is likely to go ahead with the project following some minor changes.

Must admit this amazes me, if you look at the history of EDF and some of it's current projects in other countries they are years behind.

In my opinion to go ahead with this project is wrong ? Am I wrong ?

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Hinckley (again)

My biggest issue with it is China's involvement, it basically gives them a big foot in our door, and if they don't like what we do, they might use that power station to hold us to ransom, either by shutting it down remotely or allowing it to overheat and go all Chernobyl on our soil, and the scary thing is, they're planning to build another nuke station in the UK too...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As it now appears to be a done deal at an exorbitant cost I wonder if there is a backstop if it goes years later than planned which, given the present track record of that design, seems very likely

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Meanwhile electricity prices skyrocket because of generating capacity shortages, this government does not have a policy 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/14/power-price-surges-to-record-high-on-supply-shortage-...

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not only this government - it all started to go wrong when Tony Blair's lot passed the Climate Change Act backed by virtually the whole of Parliament where the assumptions with respect to costs/renewables/base load and a CO2 levy which was much higher than anyone else mucked everything up

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Nah, it's democracy innit. The will of the people and all that...... which of course it is not. 

Read this earlier in response..... "How much does it cost to decommission a wind turbine?"

Makes you think eh but let's be honest with ourselves guys, we all use electricity and those turbines running from wind, tide or whatever, are not going to produce enough of the stuff. Just a pity we have to go cap in hand it seems to the French and Chinese both of whom are going to benefit enormously from this and at our expense.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

This power station should have been built and running years ago , but once again tooo many namby pamby tree huggers complained .

They have known for ages we do not produce enough power !! and they still Just talking in commites with no action !!!! 

Green power just does not , or will never make enough energy .

and the price deal done with EDF,,, FFS our power bill will increase Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Our national power generation system is running perilously close to maximum capacity given the intermittent nature of wind power and depending on gas from Qatar. I guess nuclear is a "safe" bet though I'd be concerned at having a remotely controlled Chinese nuclear device in our back yard managed by our historic allies, the French.  

The structure of our power grid should be moved towards localised power generation with the capacity/ability to support neighbouring areas. The central large generator model is such a poor security strategy. Fusion power is still decades away. We should be looking at local molten salt thorium powered electricity generation plants as a matter of urgency and training up our own engineers to build them.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Once upon a time towns and cities had their own power stations, yeah they varied in voltage and whether they were AC or DC, but it worked and kept local power local, then the National Grid came along, and everything got tied together to make the UK's power more stable, the small town & city power stations were closed & bulldozed, and big ones put up and when privatisation came along, they were bulldozed, and replacements were sought and the ideas of building them bulldozed because shareholders said no, and now, we're letting the chinese build a potential chernobyl in our back yard, joy.........

Local generation, well, with the way the lack-of-power situation is going, people'll be buying generators, then the power generation will be VERY local... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Whilst keeping in mind some newspaper reports are inaccurate if there is any truth in todays paper regarding the reasons why the EDF nuclear reactors are so far behind is does give reason for concern.

The issues highlighted are problems with the concrete foundations for one reactor not being up to standard and in another reactor the metal used was showing signs of stress.

If true it does raise the question of how such simple errors could have happened in the first place surely our knowledge of steel and concrete is such that these errors should never have happened.

Minivanman
Hero

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.