cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hijacked Words

Fixes: 47

Hijacked Words

I was reading this post and the word 'gay' popped into my head.
Then I thought "at what point in time was the word 'gay' hijacked.
As far as I know when I was a kid gay meant happy and jolly but now..........
'Sick' meant poorly or an act of unacceptable behaviour. Now it seems to mean amazing.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Hijacked Words

"wicked" post Strat  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had the same thought, but the answer is amazing
According to a source I generally respect (Cecil Adams):
Hate to tell you this, Tom, but the "good-natured word 'gay'" has been leading a double life. Although many people believe "gay" simply meant lighthearted or cheerful until it was shanghaied by the preverts, the truth is the word has long had a secondary connotation of sexual licentiousness. As early as 1637 the Oxford English Dictionary gives one meaning as "addicted to social pleasures and dissipations. Often euphemistically: Of loose and immoral life" — whence, presumably, the term "gay blade." In the 1800s the term was used to refer to female prostitutes; to "gay it" meant "to copulate."
By 1935 the word "geycat," meaning a homosexual boy, had found its way into print, giving a clue as to the direction things were starting to go. Sure enough, by 1955 "gay" had acquired its present meaning, as P. Wildeblood notes in Against Law: "Most of the officers had been "gay' … an American euphemism for homosexual." Actually, gays had probably been using the term among themselves long before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
"wicked"

I think that term is out of date now, apparently it's now 'bear sick' (don't quote me on the spelling of 'bear / bare / bere' though).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That`s "pants" for a reply !  Cheesy
(also a reference to another of strat`s recent posts!)
thejudge
Grafter

"Reform"
Once used largely to mean 'make better', e.g. "reformed character".
Now almost always means, "To bgr about with to little purpose or general benefit in pursuit of a deeply ideological goal", as in:
"health service reform"
"education reform"
"benefit system reform"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I thought that had more to do with 'using the dregs' as in 'reformed ham' or 'reformed chicken' seen on some ingredients lists on packs in the supermarket, the only form of 'meat' that I avoid even more vigorously is 'mechanically recovered'.
You may be right, though,about education reform as that seems to be the underlying cause of our language getting broken by the young.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
David_W
Rising Star

The word gay has also been hijacked again, this time by gamers.  It's used in a derogatory manner to say something/someone isn't good but has no meaning towards the GLBT community or the happy meaning.  Not a word I personally use when gaming but a word I hear a lot, not so much woot any more though, strikes me odd that people would make a sound like an owl to display pleasure at something.
Fixes: 121

Often when my 16 year-old daughter tells me about her day in college I need an interpreter to understand what she's on about Roll eyes
Edit: My daughter just rang me and during the conversation she told me to 'big up' - any ideas?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

community
Grafter

It is a very hard task for me to hold on to the English I was taught in school 70 years ago and I mourn it's passing  Angry
At that time there were no deviations from the established "King's English" in newspapers and the paper editors employed many proof readers to correct any spelling errors (what a hard day's work they would have today!)
I also have raised many a smile from my friends in Germany about the german I use, the german I was taught in school in the 40's........
Community Veteran

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
Gabe (born on a Wednesday  Smiley )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

This rhyme was first recorded in A. E. Bray's Traditions of Devonshire (Volume II, pp.287-28Cool[2] in 1838 and was collected by James Orchard Halliwell in the mid-nineteenth century.

I was born on Friday so Gabe's contribution is correct. Smiley
Is that why I'm not wealthy Undecided

Quote from: Mav
My daughter just rang me and during the conversation she told me to 'big up' - any ideas?

Thank goodness for the Urban Dictionary
randpwar
Grafter

Monday.........Proved it wrong again!!