cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High days and holidays

N/A

High days and holidays

It has been suggested that the gap between the summer bank holiday and Christmas is rather long and that the UK could do with another bank holiday somewhere in the middle. Similarly, New Year to Easter can be a bit long, depending on where the latter comes in the calendar.
If we were to have a new bank holiday, or a new special day like the up-coming St. Valentine's and St. David's Day, wondered what figure (or event) from history people would like to allocate to it?
I would love a Suffragette/Pankhurst Day as these ladies are so often overlooked in history and they are definitely my heroines.
Would also like to have a Sir Tim Berners-lee Day as the Internet has been such a groundbreaking innovation and he has not gained millions by it as has BG (not that I am criticizing him as folk have to make a living).
Any other ideas?
17 REPLIES
craigyoung
Grafter

Re: High days and holidays

Gordon Banks.  Just so we could call it the Gordon Banks Holiday.  (Or GBH for short - "Hey - we're got GBH on Monday haven't we?")
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or you could call it Gordon`s Bank Holiday...  Roll eyes
Seeing as we own the banks.... Cheesy
Who else do we know with Gordon as his first name?  Undecided
N/A

I can see this turning into a Gordon thread! However, there are two http://www.thebubbleburst.co.uk/bb.php?entry=Gordon%20The%20Gopher
and http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/gordonthegardengnome/
Now back to the topic.............................. Wink
itsme
Grafter

They may be readers of this forum that may believe that paid Bank Holidays are a right. I did as I have always been paid Bank Holidays in the 35+ years that i have been working. I found this not the case when I started to work for agencies and I had to fimiliarise myself with the law.
When I started with an agency 4 years ago the minumim paid holiday by law was 20 days. This was not 20 days plus Bank Holidays but 20 days including Bank Holidays. So one was left with only 12 days paid holiday.  The law has been changed to 28 days minimum paid holiday so now all workers get 20 days plus the 8 Bank Holidays.
So if an additional Bank Holiday is added then a change in the employment law will also be required.
Community Veteran

No change required.
Your holidays depend on your employment contract and the law re minimum days.
Nothing in law says anyone is entitled to Bank Holidays as a paid holiday.
If an extra Bank Holiday is added than many (most?) firms will automatically give it as an extra day of paid holiday, but they don't have to.
itsme
Grafter

When the law was changed to increase the minimum paid holidays from 20 to 28 days this was to enable approximately 2 million workers to have paid Bank Holidays. So if Bank Holidays are increased most agency workers will only then have 19 days holiday as the companies that they work for via the agency will be closed for Bank Holidays.
A change in the law will be necessary to increase the minimum days from 28 to 29 days.
itsme
Grafter

Bank Holiday or Public Holiday? By law I believe Banks have to be closed on Bank Holidays.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well we want more
itsme
Grafter

That's old data as it has Britian down as 20 days combined Public and minimum holiday, which was the case 4 years ago but it's now 28 days.
Community Veteran

This makes interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_holiday
jmd
Grafter

well, when you are retired everyday is a holiday!
but, I know that when I was working - the part time staff who worked the end part of week [so Bank Holiday Mondays were not normal working days]did not get Bank Holidays automatically paid for - they got a proportion.  so it depends entirely on your contract of employment and how it is worded.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my list was actually 2002
Community Veteran

Ther already is a Gordon Banks - he often sits a row or two back from Gordon Brown
http://www.gordonbanks.info/ -
MP for  one of the constituencies  around here !

You obviously haven't heard of him
idlewis
Grafter

If you add more more bank or public holidays it will affect the most vulnerable people in our societyespecially when the recession has caused job losses among key agencies like Social Work. We need to try and strike a balance.