cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High blood pressure

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

High blood pressure

Well had my bi-annual diabetic checkup yesterday am.
My BP was still to high (138/80) and I said well my car died last night, and I have just walked down 1.5 miles in a gale and snow/sleet, and have the same to look forward to going back home. I think it is reasonable that it is higher than it should be  Sad
My long term sugar levels are still between 5.8 and 6.1  Cheesy But I need to work on my instant readings  Tongue
So anybody else have BP (and not the petrol company) issues.
16 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: High blood pressure

Had high BP since last century  Cry
Problem in recent years has been that I suffer badly with white coat syndrome so my BP goes through the roof if it's tested at surgery - systolic tops 200.
About 18 months ago they panicked and put me on a 24 hour monitor only to tell me that my BP was too low.
Having checked my Omron against theirs my home readings are now accepted.
Only developed white coat syndrome in past 5 years - probably as result of cancer and aorta surgery.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Most likely get asked to buy a home blood pressure meter & do some readings OR if your really lucky the doctor might lend you one.
Also some blood pressure tablets are not suitable for diabetics as they will screw up your sugar control, my hospital consultant went mad when he saw one of the tablets a locum GP had put me on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@HB are you sure you have to worry about your BP?
Most GP's would be more than happy if all their patients had an average of 140/80.
How old are you?
Unless you already have one obtain a (arm fit, not the wrist type that can be very inaccurate) BP monitor and check your BP three times a day for a week at different times a day (BP varies to the time of day for most people) and find your average.
Most people, yes even hard aggressive types can have raised BP when its taken by a doctor or nurse, usually an allowance is made for what is known as "white coat syndrome" GP's in particular these days favour patients taking their own BP in quiet familiar surroundings and supplying the information obtained.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Just checked mine on my ibp and it's 119/62 Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 123

I don't often have my BP checked but when I do it's always been slightly low - can never remember the figures.
Never been told it's a problem, though.
Edit: Frequently if I stand up too quick I feel a little dizzy for a short while and I have been told that can be due to a lower than normal BP.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Been on bp tablets for several years now. My bp would be ok if I wasn't diabetic my doc told me.
I will have to find my meter, not used it for a while, it is a cuff one not a wrist one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When I retired my blood pressure was 180/100 GP Put me on Perindopril 4mgs Daily. That was 14 years ago, since then I have had the time to get a bit more physically active and these days my BP is around 140/80.
Having your BP taken at the Surgery is in my opinion not that accurate, Blood pressure varies over a 24 hour period and the only way to have an accurate reading is to arrange for your GP or more likely your practice Nurse to fix you up with one that is worn for 24 hours and self inflates every half hour and records your BP which is then downloaded when you return it.

Quote from: Hairy
I will have to find my meter, not used it for a while, it is a cuff one not a wrist one.

Do you mean 'upper arm one not a wrist one'.
The upper arm ones are supposed to be more accurate and consistent.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The wrist type are notoriously inaccurate, I've used both (the upper are one is called a cuff, which is slightly confusing since cuff in the accepted sense fits around the wrist). The wrist type needs to be fitted on the wrist very carefully to get "proper" readings. My GP advised throwing it in the bin <which I did> I now use an Omron M10 which has the handy option of producing doc. or pdf files and graphs if required.
I found out about having raised BP (I didn't know before) when I applied for a coach (PCV) licence and failed the first medical at 170/90 somewhat above the upper limit. with medication (Lisinopril and bendroflumethiazide) I've maintained around an average of 130/70 for some years now.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Quote from: Petlew
the upper are one is called a cuff

Just to confuse things a little further actually the bit that fits around the part of your body and gets inflated is the cuff as spare cuffs can be ordered separately.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The medics have to be sure they use the right size cuff. Using the wrong size cuff will give inaccurate results. The BP machines used by the doctor should be recalibrated every 6 months.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Checked my BP reading this afternoon. 129/78 and pulse 49.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The biggest concern is when it reads 0/0 but then it's too late to be concerned  Smiley
Community Veteran

Oh dear, that's a flat line Gleneagles Smiley