cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Pitched Noise

Fixes: 47

High Pitched Noise

Speaking of high pitched noises I was tasked with installing a double mains socket in my daughter's house and decided to take advantage of the situation and fitted one with a pair of USB sockets so devices could be plugged in and charged without searching for an adaptor.

Yesterday she plugged in her daughter's tablet which started charging but my daughter complained about the high pitched sound coming from the socket.

Needless to say, try as I may I could hardly hear anything but she could hear it 2 or 3 metres away.

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago with a dimmer switch on the spare room light.

With advancing years this could be viewed as an advantage...or not as the case may be.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: High Pitched Noise

If you can`t hear it, and she can... you need to go for a hearing test...

even if you have hearing aids.. !.. they probably need adjusting..

Fixes: 47

I expect to lose high frequencies as I get older.

She is 40 years younger than me.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, but...you will be amazed at what you are missing when you get your hearing aids  Wink

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I read somewhere that kids set their mobile phones to a frequency that only young ears can hear to avoid teachers at schools hearing their phone going off. Pretty clever way of getting around having vibrate enabled on the phone as everyone can hear that in a quiet classroom. There is even a website to download these high frequency sounds to use: http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran

It must be a bit of a give away though when the teacher looks up.

And sees dozens of dogs peering in through the classroom windows.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

jaread83 wrote:

I read somewhere that kids set their mobile phones to a frequency that only young ears can hear to avoid teachers at schools hearing their phone going off. Pretty clever way of getting around having vibrate enabled on the phone as everyone can hear that in a quiet classroom. There is even a website to download these high frequency sounds to use: http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

I'd be surprised if a mobile phone speaker can even output such a frequency.

As for vibrate, I remember some of the older phones being quite loud but my current one is completely quiet.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can't see much point in those sockets with charger built in. 

But a favourite toy of mine is an IKEA reading lamp with a cordless charger pad built in for my Samsung smartphone. It even has a USB socket so I can simultaneously change my smartwatch. I have it on my bedside table Thumbs Up

Don't think it whistles but it does flash Roll eyes

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

jaread83 wrote:
. There is even a website to download these high frequency sounds to use: http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

And don't forget, that when trying to listen to these tones from the website, what you may be able to hear will also be dependent on your sound card and the quality of the speakers connected.