Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Court shields database state from blame

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

High Court shields database state from blame

[quote="High Court shields database state from blame"]
An entrepreneur whose fledgling business was ruined by a false entry in a court database has had his claim for compensation rejected by a High Court judge.
The decision could set a broad and troubling precedent, because Mr Justice Bill Blair QC - brother of the former PM Tony Blair - ruled that the civil service cannot be found liable for the damage caused by its record keeping mistakes.

My Bold
It now falls to judges in future cases to interpret Mr Power's loss when damaging mistakes are made in the CRB database, National ID Register, DNA database, ContactPoint, NHS care records

This is Not Good   Sad
Welcome nothing to hide but everything to fear from this government.
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: High Court shields database state from blame

Quite a number of organisations appear to be above the law. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Including the law!

Fixes: 47

Sadly yes as I can personally testify Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

what happened to the ethos of jumping up and down and making a big to do about this sort of inequity?  time was folk shouted out about injustice.  seems that we now roll over like the dog, stick our paws in the air and ask to have us tums rubbed.
i was astonished that the motor owners agreed to the london congestion zone, a patent thin end of wedge if ever there was one.  extension of it was inevitable.
have we, as a people, really become such wimps?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

have we, as a people, really become such wimps?

It looks like it!
Community Veteran

Quote from: artificer
i was astonished that the motor owners agreed to the london congestion zone,

Well  the good folk of Manchester and Edinburgh didn't follow the Londoners example - they totally rejected the idea.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/dec/12/congestioncharging-transport
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4287145.stm
Community Veteran

the bulldung purveyors are out in force.  i don't see any great attempt to improve public transport in london beyond a few hybrid buses run by private corporations.  inspired investment in non-air-polluting vehicles could see a proliferation of cheap shopriders available for hire operated by usb flash drives holding the relevant information.  i'd find it handy to plug in my usb pass, use the buggy for as long as i needed, then dump it in a designated spot near my house.
not all buses need to be road hogging monsters.  a variety of sizes to be employed at different periods to accommodate numbers makes much better sense than nearly empty pantechnicons at some times and rottenly uncomfortable overcrowding at others.
why does so much have to be 'all or nothing at all'?  how come these people we appoint to parliament won't listen to those who voted them in?  it would seem that those appointed in manchester and edinburgh not only do listen to their electorate, but that on important issues seek their opinion.  government of the people for the people by the people is one of the good ideas to come out of the u.s.a.  how soon can we implement that?
no elected official should have the right to carte blanche take us into war without the permission of a fair chunk more than a majority of the people.  those who like playing such dangerous games need to make alternative arrangements that don't impinge on those reluctant to take part.