cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding cigarette displays in supermarkets. Good idea/Bad idea?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hiding cigarette displays in supermarkets. Good idea/Bad idea?

What do you think?  will this help deter/stop people from smoking?
The thinking is, that if they are not on display, then the demand will fall, therefore less people will be seen buying/smoking

I think, small shops will not have to do it, and this is where the kids will try to buy them....
Personally, I don`t think it will make any difference.....
Heroin, cocaine, E`s etc are not on display and yet there is a massive trade in these drugs, so why the government should think hiding the ciggies is going to stop the addicts from purchasing their "legal" drug is beyond my comprehension.... Undecided
45 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Hiding cigarette displays in supermarkets. Good idea/Bad idea?

I noticed that this had happened in our local Morrisons two Wednesdays back. When I tanked up car in Tesco, this Wednesday, cigs were on display when I paid in kiosk so this must class as smaller shop.
One thing that did cross my mind was that cigs/tobacco went up in price in latest budget but people won't know actual price until they pay.
As you say, it won't stop people smoking and kids don't try and buy in supermarkets.
Guess we'll now have to ask the prices to see how much we'll save in Adinkerke next month - save even more if SWMBO packed up  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A GP neighbour, to finance his kids through Uni does 1 weekend a month night shift at A&E, he is a big bloke, plays prop forward for the local rugby team. The hospital like it when he is on duty, as there is less abuse from the many drunkards and binge drinkers who have ‘harmed themselves’ doing silly things.
He puts forward and interesting argument that alcohol is causing more immediate and costly damage to public health than smoking. That alcohol should have a warning notice on the label and not be readily available in supermarkets/liquor stores.
@shutter got to agree with you, don’t think hiding cigarette displays in supermarkets will achieve anything.
nadger
Rising Star

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One of the consequences of smoking long term is PVD. My missus in her District Nurse days often had to deal with people who'd had bits of their feet amputated to avoid gangrene arising from PVD.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
What do you think?  will this help deter/stop people from smoking?

So going from the past and them putting the taxes up, banning advertising, making the warnings bigger with picture warnings, raising the minimum age to 18, public smoking ban, etc.
Made a lot of difference hasn't it?
I think that'll be a No then.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Youngsters "learn" to smoke from their peers and family not from advertising or availability. Until tobacco products are priced out of the ability of a generation to afford them will the next younger generation not start in the first place.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Totally agree with Petlew.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
So going from the past and them putting the taxes up, banning advertising, making the warnings bigger with picture warnings, raising the minimum age to 18, public smoking ban, etc.
Made a lot of difference hasn't it?
I think that'll be a No then.

So what has cause the smoking rate to go down?
Fixes: 47

Maybe some people have decided that committing protracted suicide isn't such a good idea.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't think it will stop determined smokers but I think it may make a difference to those who are easily influenced and buy them due to the peer pressure mentality.
I remember years ago when they advertised all over F1 cars etc.. .you'd see people smoking all over the place and thats been in decline for years now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I wonder how much the introduction of the various clean air acts had on the reduction in male lung cancer incidence due to the dramatic reduction in atmospheric pollution in industrial working environments.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think Shutter sums It all up pretty well, Certainly agree with everything he has said, One point though ( As A Smoker ) Now I will have to stand In a queue for half an hour to the be told my pack of Tobacco Is out of stock? Because no doubt this will be Nationwide eventually. Where as If you want to buy a bag of crack just nip round to your regular dealer or even phone him/her and get what you want with no queue.
Community Veteran

The new legislation only applies to large shops at the moment (those that have limited opening times on a Sunday), but it will include smaller shops in a couple of years' time.
They can have a price list available, but there are restrictions on it, for example it can't include pictures of packs.  The law says that tobacco products can't be displayed to under age children, so if it's in an area that is out of bounds to children, they can display all they want to.
@ Steve M: I don't suppose you're local crack dealer displays their product either (or offers a number of brands) but maybe you know more about that than I do  Wink
John
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: hulls
@ Steve M: I don't suppose you're local crack dealer displays their product either (or offers a number of brands) but maybe you know more about that than I do  Wink
John
No but I can guarantee that any junkie wont need to stand In a queue for half an hour to be told " Sorry dude I'm all out out stock!! "