cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden marking

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hidden marking

I've just spent the morning sticking QR code labels on my power tools, garden equipment after I realised my Brother hand held label printer can produce QR code labels. They're quite small, about 18 mm square and innocuous, looking just like manufacturer labels. However anyone with a label reader, such as a smart phone, can read the label and discover our home address and postcode. So hopefully if any of our stuff is stolen it will improve the chances of it being traced back to us. 

We used to use smartwater to mark our business stuff, but I'm not sure that many police forces routinely check for this hidden marker on recovered items.

Does anyone else use secret marking?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
17 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hidden marking

I use a UV pen to mark mine and wifey's stuff. Although the marks can't be seen under normal light, I still put the marks in not so obvious places and can only be seen under UV light. I check the marks from time to time just to make sure the marks show up properly.  Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

On the subject of UV, I got two UV torches from Amazon for about £4 each.

LED small ones, but different. I find it interesting what you can see under UV that you wouldn't usually see otherwise.

(No I am not trying to scam anything Smiley)

Pete11
Pro

Very surprising. Try turning the light off in a hotel/b&b room, then shine it on the mattress. Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran

I'd be too scared to try it and see what it would reveal. Wink

Pete11
Pro

Well, I don't think you'll do it a second time..I haven't. Lips are sealed

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

I wonder what Pete is referring to? Maybe scorpions, as they glow under UV light. I suppose there might be other arthropods lurking too.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Alex wrote:

@Alex I wonder, if we might find interesting stuff on our mattresses, even old spent folk like me. @Pete11 Have you ever chez Pete11 , or do you heed the warning, "Do not try this at home",Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Ha ha, I'm tempted, but I'd better not. As I said before ...

Pete11
Pro

Luzern wrote:

Alex wrote:

@Pete11 Have you ever chez Pete11 , or do you heed the warning, "Do not try this at home",Funny

If this was USA I'd plead the 5th. Roll eyes  Funny

Community Veteran

I do wonder if the will is in the police force to actually check for these things on goods that come into their possession?

I suspect they are the same as some postal/courier services. I was talking to one saying how do things go missing when there is another set of printed details usually in the parcel. The answer being we get hundreds and hundreds go astray and simply haven't the time to closely examine each parcel.

Which is why they auction off lots regularly. Exactly the same as all the police forces do.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

I've just spent the morning sticking QR code labels on my power tools, garden equipment after I realised my Brother hand held label printer can produce QR code labels.

What model is that please?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It's a Brother PT E-550 . The QR code is formatted on my PC using the "free" Brother editing software and transmitted over WiFi to the handheld printer.

Community Veteran

Ahh I looked at mine, but have a much cheaper model (£40-ish). Was getting my hopes up Smiley

Looks good though for the money, would think about it if I didn't already have one.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Pete11 wrote:

Try turning the light off in a hotel/b&b room, then shine it on the mattress. Roll eyes

How long before the contestants on Four in a Bed start using these?  They already complain if there is a hair between the mattress and the mattress cover.