cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden app tracks iPhone users

Fixes: 125

Hidden app tracks iPhone users

iPhone tracks users' movements
Location data is kept in a hidden, unencrypted file according to security experts Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden.

Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos, told BBC News that it was unlikely Apple planned to use the information for commercial purposes.

What other reason could they be collecting the data for?
Personally, I'm not a fan of the iPhone and wouldn't buy one.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Hidden app tracks iPhone users

Total iPhones Sold Worldwide March 2011: 100 million

That is a large amount of data
pierre_pierre
Grafter

already posted under phone section http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95318.0.html complete with the app to view your own file
Fixes: 125

Thanks pierre.
Not having home phone I never read that forum.
Perhaps this thread can be locked in favour of the other?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos, told BBC News that it was unlikely Apple planned to use the information for commercial purposes.

What other reason could they be collecting the data for?
Developers (i.e. the developers of the iOS on iPhones etc) are want to record and log things if they can, especially if its nice data that maybe useful, they tend not to consider security risks associated with recording the data, it's a different mind set (i.e. different mind sets between those that see data as harmless interesting and useful, to those that see data as security risk, and a threat to privacy).
And guess both mind sets are right, there are already some interesting apps that use the data, and I'm sure to Police and others wanting to know where you've been and when the data is of interest too, you may of course have no wish for them to know.