cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Viz

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hi Viz

With the almost comical unedifying spectacle of senior politicians having photo-shoots and TV interviews in often essentially empty fields dressed from head to toe in brand new freshly pressed hi-viz garments and hard hat which, more often than not is prominently emblazoned with a company logo, makes me wonder if, with so many people wearing some sort of hi-viz these days in all sorts of unlikely places, that its so common, that with the exception of cycle road users in dark areas, its not registered in the mind as a safety device any more.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
33 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Hi Viz

Quote from: Petlew
...its not registered in the mind as a safety device any more.

Or particularly authoritative.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
that its so common, that with the exception of cycle road users in dark areas,

I wish all cyclists were made to wear Hi-Viz jackets and helmets. There are still too many riding without them.
TORPC
Grafter

So should pedestrians be made to wear Hi ViS
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I wish all cyclists were made to wear Hi-Viz jackets and helmets. There are still too many riding without them.

Sadly hiviz does not imply a person has a functioning brain inside their helmet. And on the subject of the political class, wearing hiviz at the local photo-op turns the uncommon rich kid (right and left) into the common working man - coz blokes who fill potholes with tarmac dress the same way. Also, spot the politican wearing those awefull plastic safety specs in the middle of nowhere ( no wear? ). Why, are they protecting themselves from climate change?
Back in the day our factory floor had one simple rule, if you were stupid enough to get injured, then it was because you were stupid. No-one wore hiviz and everyone watched what they were doing. The only concession to safety culture was gauntlets and steel toe caps. And no-one ever got hurt. Today, you cannot p*ss without completing a safety assesement form, just in case you should accidentally spray against an electricity substation. That was an era before dumbing down had reduced common sense to a sea of yellow.
Cool Did you know that Dickies is a brand of safety wear? Which makes those who wear it ...
nadger
Rising Star

I keep 2 Hi Viz jackets in the car - legal requirement to have them in France. They must be in passenger compartment and not boot.
TORPC
Grafter

You can always remove the Dickies Logo & most won't be any the wiser
That is the problem we face today due to the lack of common sense
Back in my day
We learned the hard way
If we bumped into anything, it would teach us not to do it again
If we got ARC eye, we learned to use the masks provided
If we burnt ourselves we learned to use the gauntlets
And so on
And there very few that suffered from the above
We were all provided the equipment to use & if we didn't use then & got injured it was our own tuff (female anatomy's)
Plus there was none of the ridicule that I see on a daily basis (Ha Ha He / She is wearing Hi Vis / Safety glasses etc)
I agree to the most part that H&SE as gone overboard, however when you see the vast amount of accidents & fatalities they have had to deal with, then you will have a better understanding of why it has gone overboard

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quote from: nadger
I keep 2 Hi Viz jackets in the car - legal requirement to have them in France. They must be in passenger compartment and not boot.

So do I - very useful if you breakdown on my local unlit country roads.
I also worked for 20 years at a major UK airport. Moving about on a busy airport ramp you soon realise that a Hi Viz jacket is not a fashion item.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: cyrilclark1
Quote from: nadger

<snip>
Hi Viz jacket is not a fashion item.

I beg to differ Roll eyes Cheesy
I take it you have not been out clubbing in a while
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool DJ Dayglo? [ i bet that's in Derby ]
An issue with hi-viz is as they are so ubiquitous, people stop seeing them. In human factors you notice what's different - you notice the guy in the blue hi-viz amidst a sea of yellow. More insidious is the person who wears hi-viz thinking everyone is looking out for them and not, they should still be looking out for everyone else. Hence, the guy who walks behind a reversing lorry and then shouts at the driver for not paying attention. You can get hi-viz vests that are stab proof and even bullet proof, but not even Dickies make one that's idiot proof.
Idiots. So why do politicians wear hiviz? Maybe they don't want to be social-media pariahs? Even though the PM has armed police officers surrounding him, with possibly a drone overhead, and a soft squishy entreage of yes men to absorb any bumps, if he doesn't wear a hiviz vest, some cry baby somewhere will be tweeting how irresponsible and dangerous the PM is.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap

Idiots. So why do politicians wear hiviz?

Because if they didn't the same idiots who complain about them wearing Hi-Viz jackets would be complaining that they were not wearing them Wink Remember how Boris was critisised for cycling without a helmet  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
Cool DJ Dayglo? [ i bet that's in Derby ]
<snip>
You can get hi-viz vests that are stab proof and even bullet proof, but not even Dickies make one that's idiot proof.
<snip>
Idiots. So why do politicians wear hiviz?
<snip>

Don't know however I bet Google image search knows Wink
I think you answered that yourself Roll eyes Cheesy
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I beg to differ Roll eyes Cheesy
I take it you have not been out clubbing in a while

I've been found out!
That's me on the right - well I was off duty at the time.  
Smiley
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  quote fixed ]
TORPC
Grafter

Some firms frown upon moonlighting Roll eyes Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just come home from our "big Tesco" in Havant.... It was BIG when it was built, but after a couple of years, they decided it wasn`t BIG enough.... so they knocked it down, and built a BIGGER one on the same site... with "underground" carparking.. ( well the store is built above the carpark )
Whilst waiting for `er indoors to browse all the stuff.... I noticed three guys in Hi Vis attire..... two "workman" lookalikes, with yellow hi vis waistcoats on, ........wandering about pretending to be busy... Yes, really, they were not doing anything... no tools, no van, no shovels/brooms ..... just wandering back and forth in random routes... whilst another guy... obviously... "IN CHARGE" cos he had on Orange/red waterproof type coat, and trousers... ( like on the railway workers use )... he had a clip board, and a digital camera..... he appeared to be photographing the "intended" work program.... Back to the wall,... count how many paces from the wall...... turn around ( not stepping into the "roadway" of the carpark ).( could be dangerous to do that........  Roll eyes )  take a pic of the wall.... then turn to the left.... count the paces ( still on the pedestrian area in front of the entrance doors ).. turn to face the doors.... take a pic of the doors.... ( other two guys still randomly walking about ) ( not sure if they wanted to be in the pics ! ! !  Cheesy )... guy with camera counts paces to the doors, and back again...( got to double check everything..... )  takes another pic, and turns left.... counts paces.... turns and takes pic of the edge of the doorway...  and so on..... Got fed up watching them.......  Undecided
Really.... did they need to have Hi vis "safety" clothing... to do that? ? ?  Roll eyes  Oh, yeah,  they might have been run over by customers, with their trolley`s loaded so high, they could not see where they were going !.... Cheesy