Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey, You, Get off of iCloud

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hey, You, Get off of iCloud

British internet users' personal information on major 'cloud' storage services can be spied upon routinely by US authorities
All documents uploaded onto cloud systems based in the US or falling under Washington’s jurisdiction can be accessed and analysed without a warrant by American security agencies.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/british-internet-users-personal-inform...

13 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Hey, You, Get off of my Cloud

Gee I have know this for over 2 years
Fixes: 101

Re: Hey, You, Get off of iCloud

Switch to mega!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Re: Hey, You, Get off of my Cloud

Quote from: Midnight
Gee I have know this for over 2 years

You've mentioned this on a number of occasions in the past.  Mind you it's from the Independent and they're always a little slow Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's been like that for years. Somehow though people seem more trusting of american intelligence and cloud services than they do british.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

One of the reasons some of us love encryption.
Community Veteran

It's ok saying that Razor but did you know here in the UK that if the authorities ask you to hand over your encryption passwords, it's a criminal offence not to?
You may feel safe encrypting your stuff but its still deep water if they turn their eyes to you and you're hiding something.
Razer
Grafter

Yes, I do know that. It's deep water whether you're hiding something or not. Some of us, however, are prepared to swim and drown for principle if needs be.
Community Veteran

You make it sound like you're hiding something sinister  Tongue
Razer
Grafter

Principle of the right to privacy, nothing sinister there. I get quite affronted by anyone who would demand they have some right to read my personal files, my diary entries, my most personal thoughts, feelings, pains, desires. It's thought-policing, really. My thoughts are my business, not the government's. 1984, Big Brother, and all that.
If they want to see pictures of my [censored], on the other hand, they're perfectly welcome.  Cheesy
kmilburn
Grafter

I use encryption too,  and it's primarily so that if any scrote breaks in and nicks the computer, they don't have access to all my information,  which would otherwise be a goldmine for identity theft.
The problem with some of these laws is that they can be used in nefarious ways.
If someone was to put a large file containing random data on you machine, and then inform the authorities you've got dodgy stuff in there,  how do you convince them that you really don't know the password to the "encrypted" file,  rather than not wanting to tell them what it is.
So you get to spend up to a couple of years at her majesties pleasure for possessing nothing more than random data,  and perceived to be refusing to cooperate with the authorities.
Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
If someone was to put a large file containing random data on you machine, and then inform the authorities you've got dodgy stuff in there,  how do you convince them that you really don't know the password to the "encrypted" file,  rather than not wanting to tell them what it is.
So you get to spend up to a couple of years at her majesties pleasure for possessing nothing more than random data,  and perceived to be refusing to cooperate with the authorities.

It's called a miscarriage of justice and it happens more than any of us would like to admit. The death sentence was an issue because years after death, a few murderers were found to have been innocent (well so I'm told, I have nothing to point you to to prove it). In the eyes of the state once there is reasonable suspicion that you're guilty, you're guilty no matter what. As long as they can pin the blame on someone for something thats all that matters. I wouldn't say it happens all the time but it does happen. It's the british way to accuse people of things that they are not responsible for.
In my last three jobs I've had my life made hell because of my health problems but that was ok because apparently I was "putting it on" - doesn't matter that they are real issues that have a very real effect on me as long as someone can vent their frustration on me and make themselves feel better thats all good. At one point I could barely walk and was suicidal but I just stood accused of trying to make my employers life difficult (and then people wonder why you are so defensive about everything?) Roll eyes Just like those on benefits are all classed as scroungers and trying to bring down the country to its knees. It doesn't matter that the government are spending £Billions in foreign aid that we can't actually afford and that they themselves are destroying this country as long as they can blame those in the weakest position for being the culprit and then make their lives harder then everything will be ok. The financial institution stinks when it comes to debt recovery.. bailiffs that sell peoples things for a fraction of what they're worth in order to punish people who are in the **** because "they won't pay". This kind of stuff goes on daily. People are accused of stuff that they're not responsible for and then told that they did it on purpose etc. It's the british way and its encouraged from the top downwards.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: kmilburn
... primarily so that if any scrote breaks in and nicks the computer, they don't have access to all my information, ...

This is another reason I use encryption. I don't want some scum fucker getting access to my data should they steal my computer.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Who would trust the USA with anything but extremely strongly encrypted information?
I use Dropbox - but only for information I would be happy to publish openly.
I do run a TOR relay - which involves unknown people sending and receiving encrypted information for which I do not possess the keys.