Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Mate, Wanna buy a cheap motor ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hey Mate, Wanna buy a cheap motor ?

Up to 40% discount !!

DIESEL car values could plummet by up to 40 per cent due to the Government’s initiatives to reduce air pollution in the UK. 

But who would want to buy one ?

Drivers of old ‘dirty’ diesel cars will face a £20 daily pollution tax for driving in up to 35 towns and cities across the UK.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/788588/diesel-car-value-tax-charge-pollution-emissions-UK?u...

9 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Hey Mate, Wanna buy a cheap motor ?

Give it ten years and they'll saying the same thing about petrol car values!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

i was reading somewhere , i cant find it now actually diesel cars produce only about 20% of the particulates that they concerned about .

the majority of these particulates come from burning wood and fossil fuels

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

I saw the same thing - it came from the results in London on a day when there were very few cars on the road

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38716498

Current concentrations of PM10 - tiny airborne particles caused by the burning of fossil fuels - are more than double the legal limit.

However, a spike in pollution levels on Sunday "when there wasn't much traffic on the road, was significant" Dr Fuller said.

The current weather conditions, coupled with an "unusually high amount of domestic wood burning", has led to the highest pollution alert being issued.

maranello
Aspiring Pro

The issue is the amount of particulates produced in towns and cities where the concentration is highest and the risk to people is greatest. Fossil fuel particulates are reducing as coal stations are closing down, and such emissions get dispersed more easily than those produced by vehicles in built up areas. The Government provided incentives in terms of reduced road tax for lower emission cars, but the implementation was flawed. By basing the reduction on CO2 emissions per mile/kilometer travelled, and using an algorithm for calculating emissions which used mixed urban and non urban driving, this penalised petrol cars designed for city driving where at low speeds and stop/start driving diesels emit more CO2 per distance travelled. 

You could argue that diesels have particulate filters, but these are less effective for short journeys and also degrade/get blocked if not driven frequently for long enough time allow the filters to get hot enough to burn off the particulate.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I drove behind a brand new Diesel Mini the other day...........

It stank.......

I could smell it as I approached from quite a distance behind...

No other cars around.

So much for more modern efficient engines !!

Minivanman
Hero

Not sure why that should be @Infinity, I drove a Berlingo diesel for nearly 200k without any of those sort of issues but having said that, a family member borrowed a high mileage one and it did stink, but it also sounded like a tractor and was kicking out a load of 'smoke' so something was amiss. 

PS. Diesel MIni? Sacrilege! Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Cars going down in price, houses going up..... and the new 3d shaped pound coin worth just that, 3d.

Whatever is the world coming to?

17799432_1382464145107639_8772615604536688724_n.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Infinity wrote:

Up to 40% discount !!

DIESEL car values could plummet by up to 40 per cent due to the Government’s initiatives to reduce air pollution in the UK. 

But who would want to buy one ?

Drivers of old ‘dirty’ diesel cars will face a £20 daily pollution tax for driving in up to 35 towns and cities across the UK.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/788588/diesel-car-value-tax-charge-pollution-emissions-UK?u...

So... Yes Please !..... you buy your petrol/electric milk float for £20,000  and I will buy a depreciated VW  (Was £20,000 ) equivalent type car..

You keep on running that car...

and I get £12,000 discount to pay for the robbing baskets in town halls .... win win for me I think  !

Thanks for the heads up...  Hmm.... Bigger, more expensive diesel,....  even better value... more discount !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Infinity wrote:

I drove behind a brand new Diesel Mini the other day...........

It stank.......

I could smell it as I approached from quite a distance behind...

No other cars around.

So much for more modern efficient engines !!

That'll be that "AdBlue" ammonia piddle they inject into the exhaust to "combat pollution" (By adding more junk to the exhaust??), makes a diesel's exhaust smell like an unclean public toilet... Crazy2