cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is something you wont see reported by MSM

Steve
Pro

Here is something you wont see reported by MSM

UN slams the UK Government saying welfare cuts have created a ' human catastrophe ' for disabled people, and is going backwards in areas like education, health, transport and social security.

The SNP said the report should act as a ' wake up ' call. 

UN CRPD committee chair Theresia Degener said the investigation revealed that “social cut policies have led to a human catastrophe ... totally neglecting the vulnerable situation people with disabilities find themselves in.”

She said austerity measures are affecting 500,000 people, costing those with disabilities up to £3000 a year and pushing “vulnerable” people into work, despite their needs. The committee raised concerns over restrictions on the ability to choose where, how and with whom to live and cited evidence presented by charities and expert groups about in-school bullying and service cuts. Degener said: “The evidence that we had in front of us was just overwhelming.”

But the report praised action by the Scottish Government to include disability groups in planning and policy making and for their inclusion of disabled people in designing the Scottish social security system.

“Their dangerous policies stand in contrast to the action the SNP Scottish Government is taking to support persons with disabilities.

“The Tories must urgently rethink their disastrous welfare cuts, which have driven people into poverty, caused an exponential rise in the use of foodbanks, lowered living standards of vulnerable people across the country, and has now been condemned, yet again, by the United Nations.”

John McArdle and Dr Stephen Carty, of the Scotland's  Black Triangle Campaign, said the report supports its call to scrap the work capability assessment “immediately”, adding: “Not to do so will ensure that this catastrophic harm continues unabated.”

Source: http://www.thenational.scot/news/15508300.UN_slams_the_UK_Government_saying_welfare_cuts_have_create...

18 REPLIES
ffox
Rising Star

Re: Here is something you wont see reported by MSM

If anyone is interested here is a link to the full report:  https://tinyurl.com/y82dnec7

Anonymous
N/A

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I will not say what i think but insted ------------------ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-41112924

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Steve
Pro

@notinmyname No, the Scottish Government is a bonus though. I am simply highlighting something that I presumed would not make it to MSM.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

To treat vulnerable people like this is a disgrace, sadly this is only one part of it.

I often wonder about those sleeping on the streets or taking up prison places due to suffering from a mental illness, hard enough to cope if you know what's going on around you even harder if you have no idea and no one to speak up for you

Steve
Pro

rongtw wrote:

I will not say what i think but insted ------------------ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-41112924

Sadly she isn't alone as I am sure you are aware. The .Gov on the other hand are fully aware of the pain, misery and reckless suffering it is inflicting on society. It is about time something happened. I personally am sick to the back teeth of reading this and posting about it. Think of these two words ' social security '  and wonder what happened to the ' security ' bit. Then remember what your government is meant to do for you, 1st protocol is protecting its people. I think we need a new Government .2 (  to protect people from them ) clearly our government ( whom we give our power to when we vote )  has failed us. And before anyone chimes in saying  things like ' what's new ' debate what you would do to fix this IF you could. 

Fixes: 47

I don't have any debts hanging over me but if I had proportionally like a UK government of any colour I would be taking serious actions to reduce it to zero as quickly as possible.

I don't have an accountancy degree so don't have any solutions.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The difference between Micro-Economics and Macro Economics - Accountancy tends to be related to the former.

In Micro-Economics, which Strat is considering, the external context can be considered a given. If you stop spending money to match your income, it probably makes little difference to your income (assuming you don't cut back on the purchase of things which you use to generate income - but that is really investment rather than expenditure). So you can adjust one without worrying unduly about the other. 

If the government stops spending it is much more about Macro-Economics. Cutting government spending typically reduces the size of the national economy. That will reduce taxes and increase demand for social services. So income falls and expenditures elsewhere rise - which effect is bigger depends on complex factors.

E.g. Firing a 1000 civil servants to reduce the cost of government only works if all those civil servants can be found new productive jobs that are equally well paid. Otherwise they stop paying tax, reduce their expenditures so the shops and suppliers that they used to spend money with see their income decline. They cut their own costs, further reducing the size of the economy as a whole. VAT and other business taxes fall so the government's income drops while the unemployed civil servants claim benefits increasing the governments social services costs.

Alternatively hiring 1000 additional civil servants to do useful productive work (and we can have a loooong discussion about the value of government activity) puts that much more money into the economy which increases the income of shops and suppliers etc., increases VAT and other tax income and takes 1000 people off benefits reducing the cost in that part of government. 

The right wing of the Conservative party are extreme micro-economists, the left wing of the Labour party are extreme macro-economists. Reality is very complex and in the middle, but the edges are winning - their messages are much simpler to get over. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Steve

You speak of a new government, not sure if you have a specific party in mind but the reality is that we will never have a government that puts the vulnerable first.

The vulnerable are a easy target there is nothing they can do to improve their situation whereas working people will only take so much and then they will withdraw their labour, unfortunately amongst groups doing that are some who simply cannot justify the reason they are going on strike.

I cannot see any solution to the situation as most but not all governments in other countries are the same, a change in thinking is needed but even those who have had it hard earlier on in life can often forget what it was like and support the government even though it goes against their principles.

Perhaps we should scrap political parties and make every MP produce a list of things in order of priority which he will action if he gets voted in, when the next election comes around it would be for voters to decide if he or she had met the items on the list.

All MP's would be paid from Tax and required to disclose all earnings failure to do so would be a criminal offense, no sponsorship or behind closed door meetings with any businesses and far more open government with good reasons given why documents have to be sealed for 25 or 50 years.

All MP's to declare membership of all organizations including freemasonery etc

Will any of this happen ? Of course not but you did ask for possible solutions be interesting to see if anyone else put some constructive ideas forward rather than being critical of the above.

Smiley

Steve
Pro

I think one of the first places to start is to shine a light on those whose hearts are filled with corruption. There is 5 benefit cuts now in place from this year onwards. ESA is one of them : 

People claiming disability benefit Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) will get £29.05 less every week if they're deemed fit for 'work-related activity' (WRAG). They will get £73.10, the same as jobseekers' allowance, instead of £102.15.

So how does that give people who are recovering from an illness the incentive to work? try work for a week only to discover they are still too ill to work and bang, you just lost £30.00 a week going back on to the same benefit.

Also a six million pound cut for people with multiple sclerosis, these people are losing money they once qualified for while they live with a progressive condition that will never improve.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if your fit for work then you should be on jobseekers anyway....

that 30 quid a week is supposed to be your lifetime bonus for never being able to earn an income....

ESA is paid to folks who are out of work, changing the status of ESA doesn't change the PIP award in any way.... 

speaking as someone that is disabled I'd much rather have the current government and its efforts to cut spending on the overblown welfare state than I would have the commies in power with their magic money tree promises for students and death to the disabled policies, one group seems misguided whilst the other is downright evil, and its worth noting that these changes were pushed for by the lib dems in concert with several disability charities and groups all I nan effort to proclaim that disabled people are not incapable of doing things there just slightly disadvantaged mostly through psychological barriers enabled and engendered by a nanny state .... I disagree with them but I wasn't asked for my input on the matter (instead they asked some wheelchair bound member of the civil service who also happened to be a union agitator and devout femanazi) her ideals can best be summed up as "suck it up buttercup" because she spent most of her allotted two hours pointing at the few disabled veterans who have managed to achieve things way above those achieved by the average disabled person, totally ignoring the majority who don't get the resources thrown at them and are unable to do the same things (indeed no two disabled people will ever been identical in ability regardless of having identical injuries and identical equipment) but she was on the guidance council and the various working groups who put these things together... oh she's also an ardent fan of corbyn and he wants to put all out of work disabled people in concentration camps where they can work for the good of the party or provide fuel to keep the rest warm....

also poverty and crisis are subjective I don't have a huge income but I get by on it and I certainly have a lot more coming in now than I did when my oldest 3 kids were born, my rents cheaper and the council tax is about the same, tax credits didn't get introduced for another couple of years and there was no married tax allowance either, the minimum wage was day light robbery .... the in piece is missing 90% of the facts and concentrates on "muh feelings" that's not how you run a successful nation its how you run a W.I. group ....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

nanotm wrote:

if your fit for work then you should be on jobseekers anyway....

And of course, there's a big problem with being found fit for work, when a doctor says "you're not fit for work", but a state-employed box-ticker who claims to be a nurse says "you are fit for work", the state sides with the box ticker rather than the doctor who diagnosed the problems in the first place...

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if your found fit for work and you disagree you lodge an appeal, if you get the same dumb answer from the appeal you lodge a secondary appeal, they send you to see a different box ticker and redo the assessment, if they find against you and you disagree you take it to tribunal (the whole time you are still receiving the full amount of money) at tribunal if the court finds against you then chances are your the one who's wrong because it means the wealth of medical information finds that your limitations don't prevent you from working .... 

this system isn't fool proof, it isn't nice but it does work, i'm actually more disgusted by the fakes that keep getting their cash flow despite assessments than the mistakes made (all people are fallible) the entire process is annoying and harassing, and getting pulled in for a reassessment a week after tribunal finishes and having to go through the exact same stuff all over again (even to the point of going to tribunal, which yet again finds in your favour) the dwp isn't the smartest cookies but at least they have chosen not to renew the atos (they were truly dire) contract, the handover isn't fast enough for most folks  the changes recently haven't been done properly  and yeah there are problems that persist....

the transition to universal credit has been mismanaged, the process is stupid and pointlessly long and again there are problems....

the funny thing is people slag off the tories for all this stuff and fail to mention that it was labour that caused the problem, oh the tories are stupid about fixing it but they had no choice other than to change the name of each benefit (because of the utterly dumb way labour made the atos contract) it wasn't the torries that privatised the assessments instead of having them run by the nhs, it wasn't the tories that created a contract with a review company the entire point of which was to no longer pay disability money (because labour is the party of shoving all the disabled folks in concentration camps for the good of the party... cos you know commies and fascists are basically the same, its just semantics of implementation and natty flags that's different) oh the toreis are a lot better than people give them credit for, its also likely that the mess could of been fixed if it wasn't for liberal intervention and European policies demanding unity during the process of figuring out what to change and how.... but don't worry if we ever get out of Europe our government can actually fix things (or at least they will be allowed to change things although half a million isn't a lot of votes so probably wont be high priority) 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Pro

This thread isn't about a ( who dunnit ) political party. The aim of the thread is to come to a solution. Quite clearly the current set up is failing thousands of ill people and as for Atos, well, they now work for Maximus. And no they are not any better, they still make up what ( didn't ) happen at these so called ' medicals '