Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Henry Cooper dies age 76

Fixes: 125

Henry Cooper dies age 76

Boxing legend Sir Henry Cooper dies aged 76
He came from my area in South London.
I spent many a Friday night in the Thomas a Becket Pub in the Old Kent Road where he used to train.
Cooper, who began boxing professionally in 1954, is best remembered for his two famous clashes with Ali in the 1960s.
He floored the American in the fourth round with 'Enry's 'Ammer - his trademark left hook - but Ali eventually won the 1963 non-title fight at Wembley.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Henry Cooper dies age 76

Great shame and a great guy.  Very likable individual.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

R.I.P.  Henry
nadger
Rising Star

About 40 years ago I worked for Frigidaire and they had a sports ground in Kingsbury.
Henry's garden backed onto the ground and we often used to see him out practicing his golf shots. We had an indoor rifle range there and one evening a couple of us were talking with him when his young lad ( Mario I think) asked if he could see my gun.
Naturally I checked first with Henry  Wink
A few years before that, when I was single, four of us shared a flat above the shops at Canons Corner, Stanmore. Our next door neighbour was a certain Joe Bygraves who once knocked out Henry.
I see that Henry's twin, George, died a year ago.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

about that time, shook hands with him when he opened Witham swimming pool, dont know if the wall plaque is still around as the pool has changed