cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with sky, please (apologies)

Fixes: 125

Help with sky, please (apologies)

SWMBO and I are staying at my mum's while my brother and his wife are away on holiday for two weeks.
They have Sky Talk but the router is always off as no-one uses the internet there except, of course, me when I'm here.
Turned the router on and got connected but it's extremely slow.
States are:
[quote=Stats are]
Connection Speed 378 kbps 971 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 32 db
Noise Margin 31 db 0 db
As far as I remember mum used to get around 4MB.
The phone line sounded noisy and sky's quiet line test confirmed this so rang support. The test sky did showed no noise on the line so it may have been the wireless handset (there isn't another phone to check).
There is no test socket at the master socket and we can't access the upstairs room where the sky box to check filters as it's locked. Sky wanted me to disconnect everything but, obviously, I can't. Any suggestions as to why the SNR would be so high?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES

Re: Help with sky, please (apologies)

Seeing as Sky said there wasn't any lindline fault I contacted their broadband help. After performing several tests they couldn't understand why the SNR was so high or that the sync is so low.
The same line with PlusNet was always around 4MB and the same when transferred to Sky a couple of years ago.
During the call sky said they could only suggest doing a line reset with the resultant 10 day training again. Fair enough, they told me not to reboot after they've done the rest and I should see a difference within 30 minutes but it is just the same some 6 hours later.
At 378kbbs it's almost unusable. Does anyone have any suggetsions, please?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Thunderclap
Grafter

Angry I've heard those noisy ADSL lines before - it can sound like 'lightning' on Long Wave radio. Once it was a cordless phone that wanted to rewrite Ohms Law. Another, the internal wiring was done by a colour blind DIY monkey. Another, cross talk from someone elses DSL line - audio was cross talking too. And more recently, an Openreach engineer confirmed a lossy sync fault, but could not find the fault. Even when hanging off the pole!!!! So the guy changed the wire in the street and all was well. He suggested damage on the cable somewhere between the green cabinet and the pole. So it can be anything, but to date, it has never been the ADSL microfilters.
If there's no NTE5 box [ the one with the test socket ] to check upstream, then you're stuck with the problem as it may be on the (antique) house wiring side; and is chargable to fix. Maybe contact Sky/BT and ask if they will come fit a NTE5 one for free as the existing connection may not have the correct surge supression parts? Free is unlikely, and you'd need to "get the bill payers permission." I know what I would do in that situation if it was my house - but then it isn't. Or yours. Boo hoo. btw I'm assuming the Sky Box has a microfilter and is not directly connected?
Cool For one and all, a very interesting resource on ADSL > How ADSL Works > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm
Check out the "Low SNR Margin & SNR Problems" bit.

Thanks for the reply.
The Sky TV/Broadband is actually my brother's. When mum had PlusNet it was easier to deal with as I had authority plus we all know the support is better.
As we're only here for just under two weeks we'll make the most of it. For streaming short videos for my OU course I'll tether from my mobile where speeds are around 12MB down. I only have 2GB allowance which they kindly upped to 3GB for the next month free of charge so that should cover me for my course work.
As for changing to an NTE5 I'll leave well alone. Once we've left the router will probably be turned off again as mum doesn't seem to want/be able to use the PC anymore Sad

This morning the connection reset with speed almost doubling and SNR down to 18:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 762 kbps 1039 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 32 db
Noise Margin 18 db 2 db
So, maybe it will improve over night for next few nights?
I have been tempted to reboot but perhaps I shouldn't Undecided

markm9
Grafter

Hi Mav,
I wouldnt re-boot router, as Sky may have started line training on the line, usually this will reboot in the early hours of the morning, with a line of attenuation of 49db, you should get speed of approx. 5mbps down, line training usually takes around 10 days.
myredhotcar
Grafter

I was about to suggest Stellarium...  Smiley

I did check out Stellarium last night and my speed has doubled, again. Thanks  Wink Cheesy