Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with new laptop

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with new laptop

I have treated myself to a new laptop nothing to fancy Windows 10, i5 Processer ,8 GB RAM ,128 SSD anyone buying a new laptop should defiantly think of a SSD because start up is very much faster than a HDD

My query is as the support for Windows Explorer 11 ends 31st January 2020 what web browser should I go for

Microsoft Edge

Mozilla Firefox

Goggle Chrome

Thanks Brian A   

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with new laptop

Mozilla Firefox would be my choice, but at this is all down to personal preference then ideally you should try them all and choose what works best for you.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Our next laptop will definitely have SDD as even with my bad ears that whining boot-up is a real pain in the audio. Been watching costs and although high prices for them are coming down as presumably HDD gets phased out, there is still a little way to go.

Next year Jerusalem.Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 21

Windows Explorer is part of the operating system;
Internet Explorer is the browser.
Some digital signing apps for Secure (Signed) e mails, such as Comodo's
can only be set up with I/ Explorer browser.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 6

There is no reason why you should not have more than one browser available to use as some sites work better with one browser rather than another. Also, as @Gel says some apps will only work with the Microsoft browser.

On my previous Windows 7 laptop I had Google Chrome as my main browser and Firefox as the backup (Internet Explorer having thrown a wobbly at one point causing chaos with the mouse pointer and other issues). On my current, Windows 10 laptop, I again have Chrome but with Edge also available if needed.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

The new version of Edge is based on the Chrome engine, and allows the installation of Chrome add-ons.

As others have said, it's quite useful to have multiple browsers available. I have, and use, Edge, Chrome and Waterfox (a 64 bit version of Firefox).

Highlighted
Pro

Like @jgb I use Chrome, and Edge when required.  I've also got Tor for occasions when I want to be anonymous (for hiring assassins or money laundering, etc.  Wink).

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I use FF and Opera. Haven't used Chrome or MS offering at home for quite a while. One thing I do like about FF is how you can customise it to the way you want it. No doubt other browsers do much the same but it is hard to change once you've got it set up nicely. Its the small bits that make the difference e.g. if I do a search, I know the result will appear in a new tab to the right of the one I'm using, not reuse my existing tab - I don't have time for key strokes etc.

But it really is a personal choice.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Gel wrote:
Windows Explorer is part of the operating system;
Internet Explorer is the browser.
Some digital signing apps for Secure (Signed) e mails, such as Comodo's
can only be set up with I/ Explorer browser.

@Gel  I hope my interjection does not annoy, but couldn't, if not can't, some browsers be made to emulate IE?

Just asking! Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I have no experience with Chrome; this two-year old laptop with Win10 came with Edge and IE11.  Having been using FF for a number of years by then, I downloaded it straight away.  I really only use the two Microsoft browsers occasionally, for example my bank's website doesn't work properly with FF 68.0 or later.  When I try to log off there are four buttons on that page that are just black dots with "unidentified" next to them.  I didn't want to click on any of them in case it sent my entire balance to some overseas conman so I contacted the bank's tech helpline and they immediately asked if I was using FF since they were already aware of the problem.  Strangely, FF 68.0.1 didn't resolve this.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Not strange really. Usually problems such as that described are because the website has been built and tested with Microsoft products in mind and fails a W3 validity test.

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I've been using FF for my internet banking for about a decade without the slightest problem.