cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with eBay, please

arktos
Rising Star

Help with eBay, please

I've been using eBay for years, but they've recently been making changes to the home page. I've always had mine set up for items ending soonest to come at the top of my list of watched items. They call it "Time left: ending soonest".

It's always worked for me. If I see that something I'm interested in, I can track the bidding by adding it to my "watched items" list. If I decide to have a late bid, then the list is a reminder for me to do so, with those imminently ending at the top.

Now in their wisdom, eBay have changed the default setting to "Most relevant".

Most relevant to what? Why is it more relevant for me to know about something ending in several day's or weeks' time, than something ending in half an hour that I'd thought about bidding on, which is now way down the list and visible only by scrolling down? Or, how do they know what is relevant to what I currently want to buy?

A blue box appeared to say that this was new, and could be changed, but I can't see how, - despite spending over an hour wading through countless settings options and 'no-help' pages. Settings seem to be in more than one place. I've also tried deleting cookies. I can change the sort order for the duration of the session, but it always goes back to "most relevant" afterwards.

Anyone know how to fix this please?

Although if I leave it in the new sort order it will probably save me a lot of money, now I can't see the items I might have bid on. Must be good for sales !

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Help with eBay, please

A quick look and I still have 'ending soonest' on my list. It's the first selection.

Community Veteran

I've noticed that recently and it's a damn nuisance.

I have ebay as my browser home page so basically I've set the page of my buying id to "ending soonest" and reset the home page. And also redone the favourites link to my ebay.

But of course when I login with one of my selling id's I still have to click the my ebay link on the page for it to display items for sale properly.

As I mainly use the buying id this is the best work around for me.

Don't you just love the way ebay are making things more long winded. Like the new feedback page.

And what is the point of the little bit of scroll up on the page now?

There are so many screw ups on ebay at the moment you would think they would concentrate on putting at least one right.

UK seller items disappearing into the international sellers items list should be a priority.

arktos
Rising Star

billnotben wrote:
I've set the page of my buying id to "ending soonest" and reset the home page.

Thanks for your comments, billnotben.

When you chose the "ending soonest" setting, did it stay that way, and if so, how did you do that?

No matter how many times I choose that setting, and subsequently leave the page, it goes back to the infuriating "most relevant" on reopening.

Then, if my brain is not engaged, and I see that the items at the top of the list don't finish for several days, I miss out on the potential bargain that is near to ending, but is now way down the list where I don't see it.

How that helps buyers or sellers, or maximises bidders, just mystifies me.

Community Veteran

No as you found it always defaults to white elephant.

But by putting the right link in home page and my ebay bookmark at least I know it will appear with ending soonest selected.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I noticed it was doing the same to me this morning, and I found a solution.

1 - Look for "Watch List" under the "Lists" heading on the left of the My Ebay page and click the link.

2 - When on the "Watch List" page, look for the "Make Watch List your My Ebay home page" link on the upper right above the list (but below the ads, specifically under "Tell us what you think"), click this.

3 - Celebrate that you have just fixed a stupid problem that Ebay created that should never have existed.

Solution was found here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Anyone-notice-that-their-watch-list-now-defaults-to-Most/m-p/2...

Despite their post stating that it'll go back to the stupid "Most relevant" thing, it's held as the proper "Ending Soonest" choice for me so far, presumably their statement is because they clicked on Summary, rather than just clicking the "My Ebay" header at the top of the page...

Community Veteran

Of course it doesn't help that probably everyone isn't seeing the same page.

Like the new seller hub. Many saying it's a big improvement while others saying it's dire with many vital features now missing.

And as someone eventually pointed out both were true. At least two versions. One like the old seller page with added features and one a stripped down feature missing mess.

It seems to be the thing with ebay that there is no "one version" for any page.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've noticed that ebay has fixed the "most relevant" issue on the Summary page, at least here on my laptop it seems to have, probably all the complaints received about it reminded them that it's not a good idea changing things illogically jst for the sake of changing it... Smiley