cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help what is Dry Water

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Help what is Dry Water

I have heard of dry ice (frozen CO2) but not dry water.
There must be such a thing because this says
Meteogroup forecaster Rob Hutchinson said: 'The surplus of wet water on road surfaces as the snow melts means that ice could be a real problem.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Help what is Dry Water

A bit of a wet statement coming from a weather forecaster !.  Cheesy
DavidH
Grafter

Its a submicroscopic silica particulate with a particle size range from about 5-20 mμ that is prepared in a hot gaseous environment at about 1100° C by the vapour phase hydrolysis of a silicon compound, which is reacted with liquid water in a ratio in weight percent of about 9 parts water to 1 part of the particulate silica to yield a powdered product which remains flowable over a wide temperature range, even when cooled to an extremely low temperature of -196° C.
The adsorbed water is liberated on heating the powdered product.
The powdered product with adsorbed water of up to about 90 percent weight is used as a coolant by liberating water on heating.
The powdered product is useful as a moisture source for miscellaneous purposes over a wide temperature range.
Wink
Community Veteran

Now why didn't I think of that  Embarrassed Embarrassed
DavidH
Grafter

I can't see how spreading dry water on the roads to reduce the superfluence of wet water would help combat the ice though. Dry water is a lubricant in its own right. Surely a bit of rock salt would do the trick ...Huh
Huh
johpal
Grafter

It comes in a sachet; you just add water.  Cool
Community Veteran

does that make it 'heavy water' ?
Community Veteran

evaporated water surely - now there is a marketing opportunity.
Buy my new product - evaporated water -  all the goodness of water with nothing taken out.
Just add water and taste the difference  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Heavy water is something else (D20 or T20)
Heavy water is comprised of two atoms of deuterium (D; one of the heavier isotope of hydrogen) and one atom of oxygen (O), chemical formula D2O. Water from most natural sources contains about 0.015% deuterium oxide; this can be enriched or purified by distillation, electrolysis, or chemical processing. Heavy water is used as a moderator in nuclear power plants, slowing down the fast neutrons so that they can react with the fuel in the reactor. Heavy water is also used in research as an isotopic tracer for chemical reactions and biochemical pathways.
Water with tritium (T2O) rather than deuterium may also be called heavy water.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have you ever carried two of those big "Evian" water containers from the supermarket?  now that is HEAVY water ! !  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Never buy bottled water - I have a major bottling plant for one of the biggest Scottish water companies about ten miles away, and my tap water comes from a similar source !!!, the mountains and glens of the Highlands .
Mind you lots of people around here do buy bottled water ! - the supermarket shelves have a fair amount of it - maybe not so much as done south.
DavidH
Grafter

... or noticed that evian is naive spelled backwards ....  Huh
Cheesy
Community Veteran

What is horrific, it costs more that petrol / diesel etc
DavidH
Grafter

...and it spends 5,000 years filtering through limestone bedrock ... then they still put a "best before" date on it ..! Crazy
Community Veteran

OK - one exception,
one day recently  I needed to take drink with me and had to drink 4 litres in 3 hours !. So I bought some of that chilled bottled water with just a hint of a fruit taste to make it easier to drink that quantity.
I managed it - but boy - did I have to visit the loo a few times !!