cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please...I need your memory

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Help please...I need your memory

I seem to recall, a while back, that there was some sort of ruling about offering discounts to new customers and not making the same discounts available to existing customers.
I have done a few searches but do far unable to find a reference. Does anyone remember this, and do you have references/links please?
Thanks.
8 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Re: Help please...I need your memory

In any particular field? Telecomms? Finance?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not sure if it is a "rule" as such.... just that companies do this all the time....once they have you signed up, they forget about the loyal customers, just try to"con" more new gullible customers.....
Fact of life/business I`m afraid....
On the other hand...those "discounts" usually only apply for a short period of time ( about 6 months )... then without warning ( except in the original sales pitch) the wack up the charges to the "current levels"  (or those advertised at the start of the contract)... hoping...... that the gullible customer has forgotten about their direct debit and it will just slip by on a regular monthly basis....
If you want the discount... you only have to ask...... as the old saying goes... if you don`t ask.. you don`t get...  Wink
Community Veteran

With reference to Plusnet. I seem to remember that they had a 'new customers only' offer, which they had to 'review'.
This have existing customers greater bargaining power when it  came to renewing contracts. This would be within the last eighteen months.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I also recall  an advert in the press regarding PN offers which applied to new customers only but as others have said this is quite common, BT are frequently making offers of half price broadband for the first 6 months for new customers only.
If you had the time and energy you could switch between suppliers every 12 months to save money, perhaps people do not do that for a number of reasons, not everything is about saving a few pounds.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Moneysaving expert advocates being a "card tart".... i.e. getting a credit card with a long period of low/no interest, and shifting your current debts on to it.... I wonder if the same could be done with ( say ) four ISP`s..... so... you can have 4 permanent email addresses.... and shift your allegiance around as they offer "new custtomer" discounted connection rates...... Bit of a game.... but I suppose it could be done... !
Community Veteran

When you read about all the problems that people have with the various ISP perhaps people are afraid to change unless they currently have a bad service ?
Community Veteran

@Gleneagles...Nail on the head old chap.
I need to renews our move with Plusnet. I have Sky, and they keep throwing offers at me to join their phone and broadband. To be honest, it makes sense financially unless I can get some decent discount on broadband port phone. We know they never discount phone, so it all depends on broadband really.
Another factor is, my son using PlayStation live at the same time as I am gaming. We could seriously use fibre art the moment.
Community Veteran

I'm also with gleneagles on this.
Years ago i was disgruntled with PN due to the bandwidth throttling on p2p. We'd just got BB for the first time and naturally i wanted to download some big stuff and was frustrated to find i couldn't.
Anyway that was then, this is now and these days i spend most of my time on youtube or other things and haven't really bothered trying p2p for donkeys years so now the service seems more than adequate.
For http, skype, youtube, email, ftp the service seems very reliable and frankly I think we'd be skeptical about switching in case we lost that reliability.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!