cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed in Hull

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Help needed in Hull

Calling all the good Yorkshire folk, who live in Hull. 

I am looking for someone to help an old guy (85 yrs old ).. who has terminal prostrate cancer.  

He has contacted me, because he wants to use his morse key again, he says, before he dies... he knows he hasn`t got long to live.. 

What he needs help with, is some LINUX fiddling to get the program CWCOM working for him...

( all instructions on my blogsite https://morsepower.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page.html  - page 13 ( for linux instrs).. other pages will also be relevant)

To get his morse key connected will also require someone who is able to use a soldering iron to make 5 or 6 connections.. ( again, all instrs and pics on blogsite ).

The guy is called Walter... ( Walt ).. and he is in the "Newbridge Road" area of Hull...

If anyone thinks they can help me to help this guy... Please PM me... with your offer, and I will then contact him, and let him know... and from then,  we can make some "one to one" contact arrangements.

Thank you in advance

Gerry

21 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 63

Re: Help needed in Hull

Hey Shutter,

I really hope you find someone who can help, will you let us know how the search goes?

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Community Veteran

@JonoH  Well, I certainly will..... all it needs is one person.... with some Linux experience... and able to use a soldering iron for about 30 mins... and this guy will be well happy.... 

He has even said, he is willing to pay someone.... but I would rather hope that  a volunteer, giving his help freely,  would be the ideal to hope for here...

Community Veteran

I must say, "I AM DISAPPOINTED"....CryCryCry

The response to this appeal for some "Local" help, from Good Yorkshire Folk, seems to have fallen on hard times...

If I did not have my disabled wife to look after... I would drive the 290 miles from Portsmouth, which is 5 hours non-stop... to sort this guy out in about 1 hour...and then drive back to Portsmouth for another 5 hours,....  and he would be a guy who, although he knows he is dying, could gain some dignity, and some respite from his "illness" and pain, by using his long lost skill of sending and receiving morse.

I know it would give him IMMENSE PLEASURE to be able to do this..Smiley

It appears there is nobody in Hull, or even Yorkshire, who is willing to sacrifice some small part of their life, to give pleasure to a fellow Yorkshireman in the latter part of his life..... . Embarrassed

It does not need any great skill, as all the instructions are STEP BY STEP accompanied by pictures to ensure that things go the right way...

Even the Linux bit is in step by step instructions....  Crikey me.... I am not a LInux person, but I managed to get it working... AND write the sequence of events to do that....

And if you get stuck... I am only an email away... to help

All it needs is someone.... willing to...... .... 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@shutter sorry i cant help , and only 1 hour from Hull Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I know facebook is a love/hate thing however it is immensely powerful for contacting people within target geographical areas. Just go to the groups page, type in portsmouth and you'll see the results.

Join some of the groups, put out the question, you'll get a few replies or people tagging other people who might be able to help etc. It really is the best tool for a request like this IMO. I just saw one group with 9.9k members on it - it wasn't even a buying and selling group!

You don't even need to put in a real name when you sign up and you are not compelled to use it afterwards (i think they offer a close account option too). 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@7up  Thanks for the input.....

I did think, that, perhaps, there were some good yorkshire folk on here, that would be able to offer an hour of their time, to help an old, dying, man, to have some "fun" and enjoyment in his last few months? year?  ( who knows )..

But it seems that the two skills, ( very minimal at that ) are not widely available in the Hull area.

Such a shame, for a group that would like   " To do you proud"... as the saying goes ! .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@shutter

Might be worth contacting the Hull & District Amateur Radio Society.

Most members will use morse and based on my experience of many moons ago many radio amateurs build their own equipment and were well into programming.

I would be amazed if you got a negative response to your request from this group

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Just to agree with @7up here. I am a member of two local Facebook groups for my area and it is so useful. Both are quite active, and I've no idea on how they found me and know I live local thinking about it.

It is worth checking out to find a local group, ask for an invite and ask on there.

Anyway good luck with your search and I hope you find what you want.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles Actually, that was my first port of call.... I looked them up, as soon as I got the original email... and then sent a message, with a copy of his email, to the secretary of the HARDS,  but so far have had no response.. Maybe ( I hope ) he is ringing around his members to see if there is anyone who can help... but as time passes, he may also think it is a scam, and do nothing...

There are a couple of other "Local" organisations, that I will try and contact... but don`t want to "overlap" and cause problems that way.

Community Veteran

@Alex & @7up  Facebook is an evil I can do without on my computer... !... although I have heard about good things.. I just don`t want to be involved with it, and never have... 

Community Veteran

@shutter

That's fair enough I understand. I know what it can be like.

If you know someone personally who uses it and trust them then maybe ask them to ask and you can stay off the radar so to speak.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

shutter wrote:

@Alex & @7up  Facebook is an evil I can do without on my computer... !... although I have heard about good things.. I just don`t want to be involved with it, and never have... 

You daft old git. I've just told you how to use it. Use a pseudonym, get help from there, abandon it. Facebook is back out of your worries.

We all have to do things we don't like. Facebook can not gather information about you that you don't supply. It can't hack your PC (though chrome by default does come with a facebook plugin enabled). Seriously if you want help, do what I said.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

For the obvious reasons you have to be very careful who gets sent to this man’s house, it just can’t be any geezer off the street.

Community Veteran

Exactly @Mook

For the OP when I said "you know personally" it would have to be someone you know in real life, and trust. Given how popular it is nowadays I would imagine they know someone.

But I agree I would be careful about anyone else.

EDIT: I was talking about Facebook and a local person.