cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! my power sockets keep cutting out! what else can I do!!

jmd
Grafter

Help! my power sockets keep cutting out! what else can I do!!

Well, yesterday morning just after 6am all my power sockets went off.  Sp went downstairs and tripped the switch back up.  Rung electrician andshe said if nothing appears to be off that is OK.  Well, at that time in morning nothing is on apart from central heating increasing from 17 to 20 degrees.
Everything was alright yesterday.  Then this morning it went off again.  So rang electrician who could not come until later, so went to a friends for breakfast.  Came back home to meet electrician and he checked the switches in the fuse box and put a new one in for the central heating socket here just over hour cost £60] and also after checking sockets/adapters threw out the surge one I had for computer and he said that was not working properly.  Everything working fine since and then sudddenly everything went off again just after 6pm!!
Have rung electrician and he says just to trip it back on, see how things go and ring him in morning.
Why would this keep happening?
Does anyone have any suggestions please? 
It is driving me mad and as heating goes off each time - cold!!
Could go to friends for night but that is a last resort.
53 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Help! my power sockets keep cutting out! what else can I do!!

Sounds like your heating is causing a spike. IF it switches on at 6pa and the system trips then, that sounds like a clue, I would have thought the electrician would have tested that.  Lips are sealed
I would recall the sparky as the fault was not fixed.
jmd
Grafter

If it is the heating should I call the chap who serviced my boiler last week?  rather that the electrician?
and is it alright if I don't turn heating up but keep at same level then?
the electrician is going to return tomorrow - I am just hoping it does not go off again in night
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If this happened AFTER your boiler was serviced then I would certainly call him back in.
It is strange that you can have the system running with no issue but have a problem at switch on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I once saw a situation where the central heating pump had leaked water into the connector housing. There wasn't quite sufficent leakage to trip the ELCB when the heating came on by itself but when other things switched on ( e.g fridge ) whilst the heating was on it would sometimes trip the ELCB. Took ages to find...
Community Veteran

We had this a few weeks ago, and it was the 3 way valve connecting the boiler, heating, and hot water.  Having replaced the valve, it blew again, and the plumber found that water was leaking into the electrical part of the valve (obviously blowing everything. He drained the system (again) did the joints and valve - and no more problem (yet)  Lips are sealed (no smiley for "touch wood")
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also had this problem, the ELBC would trip out for no reason so I changed it, the problem continued and was very random. It could go for a few days no problem and then trip or trip 2 or 3 times a day. It was always possible to reset it and everything worked until the next time.
Got an electrician in and he worked his way through the house undoing every socket and checking it with some sort of Multimeter, at one socket he got a different reading and checking in the loft found an extention wire had been run through the wall and into the conservatory. This was disconnected and the reading was now OK it seems that the cable running to the conservatory must have got damaged at some stage and yet it has took 15 years before it started to cause this problem so if you have had any additional wiring done in the house at some stage it might be worth considering this if all else fails.
jmd
Grafter

well at present everything seems OK...................... just hoping it stays that way!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Was it the power socket circuit fuse-switch that tripped, or the earth fault circuit breaker? If it's the latter I would suggest that it's associated with the boiler igniter circuit going faulty (very high voltage and a small earth-leakage current).
Is the boiler a condensing one? Is the condensate outlet drain frozen up causing water to spill over in the boiler casing and contacting an electrical part? That could cause either of the two switches to trip.
Fixes: 122

We had something similar happen a couple of yaers back. The whole system would trip out. We turned everything off and systematically turned on thing on at a time. Turned out to be the back left ring of the cooker. Did tell the landlord but nothing was done. We just avoided using it till we left a few months later.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jmd
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
Was it the power socket circuit fuse-switch that tripped, or the earth fault circuit breaker?
Is the boiler a condensing one? Is the condensate outlet drain frozen up causing water to spill over in the boiler casing and contacting an electrical part? .

The switch that trips is a switch in box - not sure what sort! 
It is a condensing one.  However, because whoever installed the thing [5 yrs ago - 2 yrs before I bought house] did not do a good job with flue the flue constantly drips water[have iceberg on ground outside underneath!] so boiler chap thinks that needs lifting slightly and am waiting for quote for that. So do not think much moisture is going the way of condensate drain!  Unfortunately cannot get hold of the boiler chap - keep leaving message for him.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

read Nozzers other thread re condensate boilers http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91812.0.html
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
Quote from: nozzer
Was it the power socket circuit fuse-switch that tripped, or the earth fault circuit breaker?
Is the boiler a condensing one? Is the condensate outlet drain frozen up causing water to spill over in the boiler casing and contacting an electrical part? .

The switch that trips is a switch in box - not sure what sort!  
It is a condensing one.  However, because whoever installed the thing [5 yrs ago - 2 yrs before I bought house] did not do a good job with flue the flue constantly drips water[have iceberg on ground outside underneath!] so boiler chap thinks that needs lifting slightly and am waiting for quote for that. So do not think much moisture is going the way of condensate drain!  Unfortunately cannot get hold of the boiler chap - keep leaving message for him.

Not quite sure how raising the flue will have any effect on the drips! It will still do it, but from a greater height. What you are seeing is very wet air exiting the flue, forming droplets on the end of it and dropping off on to the ground, then freezing.  (Sounds medical!  Cheesy)
Switch in box = your house "fusebox"?
jmd
Grafter

switch in box - yes, the fusebox.
yes, I understand the flue will drip but I have had large long lumps of ice dangling from it this week!
Community Veteran

I would suggest that you check your condensate drain pipe to make sure it's not frozen. If it's working properly most of the moisture should have been removed from the exhaust gas (by condensation!). Doesn't sound normal to me that you have danglers on the flue pipe!
The tripping out is probably either an ignition circuit fault or water in the boiler casing finding an electrical component.