cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help medical research for free (almost)

Stewie
Grafter

Help medical research for free (almost)

You can download robust software from www.wcgrid.org that crunches for medicine. Entirely non profit philanthropy.
So far there are 400000 members worldwide. Software can be downloaded for Windows Linux and the Mac. It runs low priority, can be setup to use the cpu and network at times that suit you. Once setup with network access operation can require little or no intervention.
Everything you need to know and download is at www.wcgrid.org . There is a forum inhabited by Community Advisors who have been there for years! And the jokes thread is not bad. Wink
8 REPLIES
Stewie
Grafter

Re: Help medical research for free (almost)

Did (or will) anybody take a look, or even join? Huh  Undecided
jmd
Grafter

Have had a look.  Not decided about joining.
Stewie
Grafter

Do you have concerns I might help with? Or are there not enough hours in the day with other commitments like family and work?
jmd
Grafter

a.  spam possibilities?
b.  did it before for some other scheme [cannot remember what is was] and had lots of strange messages on computer - and slowed down connection [which is already slow]
Stewie
Grafter

Understandable. You choose what to reveal via a password protected account. I signed up to their newsletter, but  I don't recall the last time I saw one they are so infrequent. I believe IBM contribute resources, and I believe IBM are reputable. I don't believe they are interested in selling emails to spammers.
As for bandwidth usage, whilst I would not recommend contributing via dialup connection, I was able to for a year - just to give you some idea. Basically workunits  are downloaded and results uploaded every 8 to 100 hours depending on the project, and each workunit size - depending on project - varies between under a megabyte to 9Mb. The first time you introduce your machine to a new project there may be a bit more to upload.  Tongue New projects  come along rarely,  and take months to complete one phase.
BTW the clean(ish) jokes are here;- http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=13032 at least for the moment. You have to read a lot before you find a real gem, but there are one or two.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't forget the equally reputable BOINC at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

madjbright
Grafter

I have been crunching for World Community Grid for about 3 years and am in the top 1000 from the 400,000 users for work done. The system uses the Boinc client and has gad no noticeable effect on system performance. It does not download much over your connection either. The system is hosted by IBM which should make it quite trustworthy. Why not give it a try?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I've just re-started on the Oxford University/BBC Global warming model.
Realised that one of the cores on my dual-core PC does virtually nothing - so I've limited it to use 1 CPU.