cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identify a song from somewhere

csogilvie
Grafter

Help identify a song from somewhere

My housemate and I are convinced we know of a song with some strange words in it, but we can't think what it is...
From memory, the bit we know goes like:
This is a song that has a dramatic key change to show...
The problem is we can't think of anything else, and google on the iPad from a canal boat is failing.
Anyone any ideas?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Help identify a song from somewhere

This is a song that has a dramatic key change to show... are they the lyrics or a description?
Guess would be
Billy Joel, Piano Man
But
Fenzel, The Thong Song
Belinkie, Build Me Up Buttercup
Stokes, What Becomes of the Brokenhearted
Lee, Total Eclipse of the Heart
Led Zep, Stairway to Heaven
Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
Pink F,Money
All have major key changes
Community Veteran

Lots of songs change key (often dramatically) for all sorts of reasons, and sometimes for none. It may be from a major to minor, in order to bring the mood down, or minor to major, in order to lift it, or even up a semitone, just to signify the final verse / chorus!
My youngest son pointed out to me that the Anakin Skywalker theme (when he first appeared in the Star Wars film) was a major version of the Darth Vader theme. It spoiled a plot twist, because it immediately told people that they were the same person - just a key change.
Fixes: 125

It appears there's a name for this: Truck Driver's Gear Change
The term Truck Driver's Gear Change was apparently coined by this site, which compares the technique to a tired, overworked truck driver performing an unartistic, mechanical function. It's becoming something of a Discredited Trope these days, although it still shows up with some frequency in certain genres.

As Hulls pointed out many songs use this technique effectively. It's almost a trademark for artists like Barry Manilow.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Think there's a few but one that mentions it specifically is Axis of Awesome's How to write a love song (not sure but this vid may not be safe for work) - that the one you mean?
If it's not, watch it anyway cos it's great. Then look for their 'four chord song' song too.
csogilvie
Grafter

"This is a song that has a dramatic key change to show..." were meant to be Lyrics from the song, and in quote marks but it was quite hard to write that on the iPad...
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I thought they were - is that song above not the one you were after? IIRC it has that line in it...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm sure I can remember a similar spoof being done on a British comedy show - but can I heck remember which one! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
csogilvie
Grafter

I was reminded about this when out at the Theatre a couple of weeks ago seeing Spamalot...
I think what I was thinking of was The Song that Goes Like This.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks Matt for introducing me to Axis of Awesome and cso for reminding me of that Spamalot song.
Like jelv I seem to recall a British comedy show of old doing that. One of Bill Oddie's efforts perhaps?
No doubt there are many. Searching I came across this recent parody
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p0096t78/jonni_music_song_about_you/
There is also an explicit mention of a key change in Cole Porter's Every Time We Say Goodbye "How strange the change from major to minor".